Healthy EatingFood Tips

Cut Hot Dog in Half

Summertime means a lot of picnics and backyard parties especially classic hot dogs and burgers! When it comes to hot dogs - one hot dog is a bit too much meat for the bun in my opinion.

I like to cut the half dogs in half and serve per bun, I am filled up this way and you get more use out of your hot dogs. Double the amount can be served. Plus makes room for the condiments when eaten.

This is an excellent tip for children, too I think about the kids who said they were starving at our barbecues who took a couple of bites and were done. I would cut the bun and the hot dog in half. Thanks for posting.

Yes very true, kids generally take a couple bites and they're finished. Cutting in half for the buns and hot dog would be a great idea!

hot dogs are bad for your health too much sodium for one...and the extra bread is extra starch and extra sugar

Yes, that is true however if eaten in moderation it isn't a deal breaker. Plus, it's one of the popular foods that is served at beach parties, bbq's and parties or holidays (Fourth of July).

There are healthier alternatives to eating hot dogs like: instead of white buns buy whole wheat buns like I did. Try to purchase hot dogs/sausages that are made with real meat, have no nitrates, all natural, etc. It will be a little more expensive but healthier and cutting in half would be more practical!