MicrowaveAppliances

Cutting a Microwave Glass Tray to Size

I cannot locate a glass microwave tray for my microwave. They are all too large. I need about a 10 inch tray, but the smallest is 12 inches. Can one be cut down to fit? It's a older microwave, but it still works great. The microwave oven is in my 1979 Chevy Jamboree motorhome.

Best Answer

I had a similar problem when my microwave tray broke - the type that moves round with a turntable. When mine broke I put a plate upside down in the microwave so that the turntable mechanism did not not touch it, and stood the food on the upside-down plate. You can use your microwave without the food turning on a turntable, you just open the door and reposition the food a few times during the cooking.

Best Answer

Since your microwave is original with your 1979 Jamboree it would not have a turning mechanism as this type microwave had not been produced before 1979.

• I'm only mentioning this because most of the microwave plates for sale - new and used - will be for use with a turntable and most cannot be used in your type as it they will not set flat/level.
  • These trays are very thick glass and would not be easy for an inexperienced person to cut and the glass would also have to be polished to remove sharp edges.
  • I believe it would be more expensive to have one cut than to buy a new microwave.
  • If you truly wish to continue using this unit, I would suggest you look up shops selling used appliances (Google and your zip) and ask if they have an old tray setting around somewhere.
  • You could also try calling thrift stores in your area and ask about a tray or older microwave (for the tray).

Since newer microwaves are so much more efficient and very economical, I would suggest you give up on this older one and opt for a newer model.

Happy travels!!

You can cut glass with a diamond saw. Here is a YouTube video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqcQ5GQ_SlA

You can cut glass to size your microwave get someone who knows what they are doing.

Or you can buy one for under 20.00 at walmart and amazon.

www.google.com/search?q=finding+10"+glass+microwave...