BreadsBaking & Desserts

Dandelion Blossom Bread

Dandelions are known for their health properties. Full of vitamins and minerals, they also have ant-inflammatory and cleansing benefits. This is a quick bread that enables you to use 2 heaping cups of those healthy blossoms! It is sweetened with honey and the taste resembles cornbread. Yummy! :)

Total Time: About hour and a half prep.

Yield: 2 loaves

Source: Modified from a recipe I saw on Pinterest

1. First you will need to gather your blossoms. They are so pretty!
  2. Now you will need to trim and clean them. I used scissors and cut them right below the petals. Don't worry if you leave a bit of the green, I did. The entire plant is edible anyways. As for rinsing, I found that the flowers tend to close up when they hit water. The best thing to do is blow on them and agitate the petals with your finger. This will take you awhile, but it's worth it not to have dirt or insects.
  3. Ad

4. Now that you have finished that, here comes the easy part! Add your flour, baking powder and salt to a large bowl, mix well.
  5. Add your oil, honey, eggs and milk to another large bowl. Mix well with a hand mixer. Add to dry ingredients.
  6. Ad

7. Fold in your flowers. As you can see, my blooms were starting to turn white and puffy like they do when still in the ground. I stored them in my fridge for a couple weeks before using. They keep very well, still very fresh!
  8. Add your batter to 2 greased loaf pans and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes. Now reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake another 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  9. Ad

10. Enjoy!

Amazing! I never knew there was so much you could do with dandelions!