Dating an Eldredge Treadle Sewing Machine

I have a Eldredge treadle. It was gifted to me in '09 after my bf's grandmother passed. It has sat around all these years and I've finally overcome my fear and decided to restore the treadle.

My question is this. I can't seem to find any information on when she was made or where for that matter. It does have a serial number 1311592, but nothing else. It has a decal on the front of the arm that says, "The Eldredge" and on the back of the arm it says, "Improved Eldredge B". I've researched a lot and every image I seem to pull up doesn't match my treadle. I've found manuals a plenty of another Improved Eldredge, it's similar, but not at all exact.

I would just like to get a date because I want to set up a memory book with his late grandmother and great grandmother and any information I can find about this particular model. So that when it's not in use (I do plan to use it) this memory book and pics of the grandmothers can rest on top.

So any info on a possible date would be so greatly appreciated.

In June of 1890, Eldridge was consolidated with the National Sewing Machine Company. Your machine is at least that old. ismacs.net/.../from_eldredge_to_national_to_janome...

amandawynn.com/.../

Perhaps this blog can help! Maybe the author has additional sources.

Your idea is lovely! It is so sweet to preserve history like this!!

There is a lot of information about the Eldredge and National Sewing Machines but not a lot of actual information that makes it possible for just "anyone" to date one of these machines.

• Your machine had to have been produced after 1890 since it has a National Sewing Machine "badge" on the front (nameplate).
  • I cannot find any statement showing that the name Eldredge was completely dropped in favor of using the National Machine name so it is possible the Eldredge name stayed on their machines until they closed the factory.
  • There is evidence that National Sewing Machine company sold machines to several companies placing whatever name that company wanted to use (clones) (just like the Japanese companies did with the "Singer" model).
  • Here is an ad from 1879 showing a similar machine but it cannot be yours because this was 11 years before National was started.
  • ismacs.net/.../eldredge_sewing_machine_advertisement...
  • Even Wikipedia does not say when (or if) the sewing machines were renamed to National. I cannot even find a date when treadle machines were dropped from production.
  • Ad

• en.wikipedia.org/.../National_Sewing_Machine_Company
  • Here is a link to Eldredge manuals but some of them are no longer available and your machine may be one of the missing ones. You can look at the pictures and writing to see if your machine is mentioned.
  • pages.sewing-machine-manuals.com/.../1.html?bc=1
  • It is possible that you could contact this company to see if they can tell you which machine is yours and if they have a manual. I certainly think a manual would be worth the few dollars they are priced. It may take a few days to get an answer.
  • pages.sewing-machine-manuals.com/.../question_form.html
  • Here is a link that you can purchase (usually) replacement parts and needles/bobbins for antique/vintage machines.
  • www.sewingshop.com/singerindustrialmachineneedles-20x1...

I think for your purposes you can safely put 1890's and it will be great. You can also put in a note re the manufacturer and how important the sewing machine was to the development of society in ways that we completely overlook nowadays