Decorating Lamp Shades

Outdoorsy looking lamp shades are a fun way to celebrate the great outdoors from the comfort of your easy chair! The fringe at the bottom is from a popular mega center and is hand stitched on to secure it.

I save my junk mail and trim it for deco hole punches, like you see hanging down the shade. They are tiny leaves that I carefully strung and then crocheted a chain stitch to make the cord which could be used for any number of things, like gift wrap.

The 2 bigger leaves, I found in my craft stuff and tied them to a plain cord by their stems. There's another crocheted cord that's harder to see that I handcut the small pink suede flowers by hand then strung on cord and crocheted.

There's also a piece of green glass junk jewelry clipped to the top that was once part of a pair of clip on earrings.

The stamps I used came from a dollar store and were like a foam stamp pad and the paint is rubber stamp ink pads of various colors.

The leaf/berries at the top with stems is another dollar store find and was intended for use with a candle. The possibilities are endless when you decorate with nature!

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

9 More Solutions

The perfect accessory for a little boy's room is a transportation-themed lampshade. Just spray paint a lampshade black to look like asphalt. Randomly arrange roadway and street-sign stickers, then hot glue a few toy cars onto the shade.

The perfect accessory for a little girl's room is a pink dress lampshade. Wrap a baby girl's dress around a lampshade, tuck it underneath and then glue it onto the bottom. A little pink trim and some beads add the finishing touch.

I have painted a few lamp shades with spray paint with good success.

I just touched up the edges of a "found" lampshade with black permanent marker, sponged it off, and it's amazing how respectable it looks now. I found the shade on trash day on an old corroded brass lamp and rescued it.

Is it safe, possible to paint the inside of a lampshade? I have a pair that I love, but the inside is very glossy and the glare they give off when lit is blinding.

By pgaines

Answers

Before doing any painting, I would lightly sand the inside of the shade first to make what is called a "tooth" so that the paint will adhere to the surface because it is glossy or slick. If done in both directions(ie up and down and side to side) that alone may be enough to cut the glare you are trying to get rid of. If not, use an appropriate kind of paint to paint the inside.By that I mean, if shade is plastic use a plastic paint, if paper use craft paint. Also be aware, painting the inside of the shade may cause the lamp to give out less light even with white or a light color being used.

How about decoupaging pretty tissue paper, wrapping paper or fabric to the inside of the shade. It is safe to use paper as long as your bulb is not too bright/hot. I've made shades from wall paper with out a problem. Good luck

All good ideas. Keep the bulb inside florescent, which means less energy bills and less heat.

If it's just too shiny and the colour is ok... I'd just sand it lightly to dull the shine.

Answer this Question

I have white glass lamp shades on my kitchen chandelier. I want to remove them, and spray paint them a "color".

My question would be, what is the best paint to use, where to purchase it, and if anyone has painted glass lamp shades with "success"? I am a huge fan of "spray paint", but never used it on glass shades.

By MJo from Spencerport, NY

Answers

I know there is a paint you can use. Please go to your local craft store.

First, wash the shade with TSP. Make sure it is clean! If it is "glossy" you may have to sand it first. Your local paint or craft store may have a paint that you can use. Perhaps the "stained" glass paint i.e. the one you use to make a pane of glass to look like stained glass. Make sure the paint is heat resistant, as a light bulb can give off a lot of heat.

If you use a faux glass paint like Gallery Glass by Decoart, please follow the prep instructions that come with the paint. It does not come in spray that I know of, you may have to paint it on by hand. Or you could try spattering it on with an old toothbrush. Be sure do this technique inside a paint tent. These can be made from a cardboard box with one side cut out.

Answer this Question

How do I cover a lampshade?

By maureen from Anna, IL

Answers

The easy way is to make a template out of any kind of sturdy paper. Lay the paper out leaving two inches between each cut out. Then you can measure how long and how wide it would be to lay out on material. Note: your material will come in different widths. It's just a gross measurement and you will have more material than you need but better too much than to little. If you want to have a more precise cut, take your numbers to the fabric store and they will cut what you need.

Go to Youtube, there a lot of videos.

Answer this Question

Peel off the old fabric and any foam padding. Use a razor blade to carefully scrape off any residue of glue or foam.

I painted my living room lamp burgundy and dry brushed the design in gold. I also painted the shade a brown. What a mistake.

Crafts Home DecorSeptember 27, 2012
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Decorating-Lamp-Shades.html