Decorating With Picture Frames

Category Decorating
New or used frames can be used in interesting ways to create new decor. This guide is about decorating with picture frames.

Use gift cards and postcards to fill in blank spots in multiple photo frames. I have a large frame that is divided to hold many photos that I use for displaying vacation photos, family gatherings, and holidays. When I run out of the right size photos, I fill the blank spots with the appropriate gift cards and postcards. It's almost like having a scrapbook on your wall.

Source: My own need to fill in a photo frame quickly and not having the right size photos.

By Thenicholas3 from Gulfport, MS

This is a guide about crafts using picture frames. Recycled or inexpensive picture frames can be decorated and used to create fun new decor for your home.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I purchased 8 x 10 inch wood frames with no glass, matting or back and was hoping to do some decorating with them. Does anyone have any ideas and tips to use them? Thanks.

Sandy from Ashton, IL

Answers

If you don't want to put backs on them and maybe acrylic instead of glass to frame things -you could arrange them at angles artistically on a wall to form a pattern and perhaps mount something in or one more of them...to create a wall arrangement.

Glue a sturdy piece of cardboard to the back of the frame. Then glue 3 dimensional items such as sea shells, fancy old buttons, broken costurme jewelry, etc. to the front of the cardboard. Now you have a custom "picture" to hang.

Paints: crackling, sponge, spackling(toothbrush spraying), Glue small pieces of material (no particular size or shape just small enough to do a overlap). Jigsaw pieces around frame. Craft stores have those Joelee small scrapping pieces to really customize for a person. Try Walmart, Michael's, JoAnn's too.

In case you decide to put the glass in, you can also create a collage of a special time together, a place you spent time together, a holiday or vacation. The possibilities are endless. Have fun.

Merry Christmas!
Jennifer CA

No glass needed, just use some strong cardboard and a scrap book page to get started, probably get two frames out of that for a background. Hope that helped more...
Jennifer CA

If you really want to go with glass, hit up garage sales, frames are always cheap there & usually ugly so I just keep the glass for a nicer frame & dump their frame. I do this to get the non-glare glass for my frames.