Dessert in a Jif

This is a great tip for a couple, plus it saves calories. If I make a regular cake, my husband and I eat more than we should. Sometimes, I just crave something sweet without the guilt. I made a Jiffy cake for the two of us. When I made it, I sifted the mix and when I prepared it, I put in a tablespoon of mayo.

The cake yielded either 4 large or 8 small slices, and it tasted great. I just made a basic powdered sugar and butter frosting with a bit of milk and vanilla.

I'm confused. Is this a dessert from a cake mix one buys? And you add mayo instead of eggs or something?
And what is the topping on top of the cake made from?
Sorry, I just don't understand.
Monique

Jiffy is a brand of cake, bread and muffin mixes. I think she is following the package instructions and adding the mayo.

I understand what sh's saying but, wouldn't mayo increase the fat and calories?? I've used applesauce in place of butter or oil to decrease fat in a recipe and it tasted great.

I made as directed but added a bit of mayo to improve the moisture of the cake. And someone asked about the frosting, powder sugar, butter vanilla and milk, the basic powder sugar frosting.

So with just a bit of mayo and the small size of the cake I do feel I saved calories because I did not have a full size cake to tempt me.

Anonymous

You can make a small cake or 6 cupcakes with a regular box mix! Just measure the mix and divide in half. Or weigh and divide. A small electronic scale is a definite "must have" and not expensive. If mix calls for 3 eggs, 2 will work fine. If youre fussy you can beat the 3 and measure out half, using the rest for scrambled eggs, but really 2 regular size eggs won't hurt. Zip up the rest of the mix in a zip lock bag and save for another time.

I do this with all kinds of box mixes; Rice A Roni, Stuffing, Pasta Roni, etc. I have a scale now but I used to just use a measuring cup to get the full box amount and the split it. Used a tablespoon to measure the seasoning; one for now, one for later, and so on. Really saves on waste when there are only 2 of you. Bonus - stretches my food $$.