Deterrents for Snakes

Category Snakes
Snakes slithering around or in your home can be both scary and dangerous. This page has advice about how to deter snakes.

Can anyone suggest a way to repel snakes? I've heard that granular sulfur works and that it does not work, but that commercially sold SnakeAway does work. It's rather expensive though, so I'm hoping someone will know (from experience) an effective way repel snakes.

By Carol from AR delta

Answers

Best Answer

A couple of things. use moth balls and cheap kitty litter and surround the perimeter in which you want to keep the snakes out. This sounds weird but it really does work. also, snakes do not like the white rock like you see in some power plant sub stations. we had one on our land so it was easy to access the rocks. But, best bet on the moth balls and kitty litter. Good luck.

Can food diatomaceous earth be used to repel snakes? We are moving into a new house that backs onto a man-made pond. I understand how to use DE for spiders (NC has spiders the size of a small tree root!) and I have read that I can use it also for Japanese beetles and grubs. But what about snakes? Will a border of DE keep snakes from our backyard? We had a wooded lot, no pond; a few years ago and it was loaded with copperheads, so I know snakes here in NC are inevitable.

But, if anyone knows of any good methods for repelling snakes, it would really help! Thanks.

By Donna G.

Answers

Best Answer

I am not familiar with diatomaceous earth. However, after research on the internet about how to keep snakes from nesting in the crevice between my homes foundation and the sidewalk, I learned that snakes do not like strong, offensive odors. Moths balls have worked for me. Also, I purchased a spray repellent that smelled like capsazin. So now I use linament cream instead as its less expensive.

Good luck

How do I get rid of snakes?

By Napoleon from Ghana, West Africa

Answers:

Deterrent for Snakes

We used extra mothballs. It keeps them away from wherever you don't want them, need to replace if it rains hard. (03/29/2010)

By Trudy

Deterrent for Snakes

My extension agent said a very fine fence around the yard's perimeter would help some and keeping junk or lumber off the ground also. He said that lava rock might keep them away from the house because it cuts them and they don't like crawling over it. We have used Snake-Away and it did the trick, but it's kind of expensive and has to be replaced after rain. Good luck. (03/29/2010)

By KAREN ADAMS

How do you keep snakes off your property, especially rattlers? We have tried almost everything.

By Herb Viola from Deltona, FL

Answers:

Deterrent For Snakes

I have always used mothballs as a deterrent. You just toss them around everywhere. I would suggest starting by putting them under your house. Also, bait traps or use poison for mice or rats to help get rid of snakes. You could put some of these under your house as well. The snakes are probably there after them to start with and if you cut off their food source then they will go elsewhere. Hope this helps. Good luck. (10/26/2009)

By Karen Hankinson

Deterrent For Snakes

Forget the moth balls. Everyone seems to believe critters will run the other way with mothballs. The critters either push them out of the way or ignore them. When I had some problems with critters I contacted my state and asked them for some information. In my case they put me in touch with the forest service and I had my questions resolved.

In my state we also have what is called an extension service that helps with these types of problems. You could contact a college or university that has animal laboratories. I believe Florida has wild animal farms that feature crocks and snakes, you could give them a call. I also would call the companies that rids ones property of critters and ask them for some information. They should be listed in the yellow pages. In the long run I don't think you will find any long term treatment to deter the snakes from coming on your property. (10/26/2009)

By Deanj

Deterrent For Snakes

I did some research for you about rattlesnakes, what they eat and their habitat. Apparently, man has moved into a rattlesnakes natural habitat and are plagued with them at times. If your residence has a lot of what they eat like small rodents, rats, birds, lizards, rabbits, squirrels, frogs, gophers, crickets, and bugs then they will not go away easily.

Wild boars will kill and eat rattlesnakes and farm pigs will stomp and sometimes eat them, while deer will stomp at them. Hawks, heron, fox, raccoons, milk snakes, and racers also help to rid rattlesnakes.

Rattlesnakes live among rocks, and damp land, high grasses, and fields. It is best to keep lawn care maintained and one website I visited stated that moth balls will deter rattlesnakes. The party placed moth balls all over the yard and had seen one or two rattlesnakes in a year's time.

Surely there is a critter gitter in your area or goes by another title that will remove the rattlesnakes for you as their venom is useful in the world of medicine. But, if all else fails and I'm making light of this, have you thought of learning to eat rattlesnake? I hear it tastes like chicken. There's also websites that tell you how to prepare it for eating. Mmmm, Delish.
(10/26/2009)

By Myrna

Deterrent for Snakes

I'm not sure about rattlesnakes, I use sulfur around my house and property where any kind of snakes could be or stay. I know for a fact they don't like sulfur, it also serves in keeping down ticks, fleas, spiders, and other such critters. They also don't like mint. Good luck in whatever solution you try. (10/27/2009)

By Patsy

Deterrent for Snakes

I have tried every method to deter rattlesnakes. I have found two things that seem to help. Mind you nothing is 100 percent. Just use common sense when out in your yard and on your property. Rattlesnakes do not want to run into you or bite you any more then you want them to. Every single one I have had "face to face" contact with has tried to avoid me. That said here are the two things I have found work best.

Keep your yard clean of debris. Stacks of wood, tires, trash, etc. harbor a nice place for a snake to hide and are a place for them to find easy food such as mice, voles, rats, baby bunnies, etc. Keep your yard mowed and everything trimmed with a weed eater. Take away the food and shelter source and you take away the odds of having the snakes.

Second is keep a dog. Something in the hunting or herding breed. The snake wants nothing to do with something that may eat them and will try to avoid it. Listen to your dogs bark during snake weather. Snake weather in the spring and the fall are warm sunny afternoons following cool mornings, in the summer snakes will often move and feed at night after things have cooled down. This is because a snake's body temp is affected by the temp around them. They warm up in the spring and fall and become active. In the middle of a hot summer they wait until the area temps are comfortable for them to become active.

Dogs do not like snakes and will sound the alarm to let you know that something menacing is around. You will be able to hear the alarm in your dogs bark and can immediately respond and dispose of the snake if needed. We will not harm a snake that is not in the position to harm us. If we see them away from our yard we let them be. If they are sunning on our porch we try to find someone to relocate them and in the worse case scenario we have killed them before.

One more thing to remember is that a snake will not always rattle before they strike and their rattle noise varies according to the age and size of the snake. I have heard rattles sound like a honey bee. Do not trust that they will all sound the same.

I hate snakes, I really do, but I have learned to co-exist with them because I love our home and property. I have learned over the years that with a little work we can both live in the same place. Although that doesn't stop the shivers that run up my spine everytime I see one. Good luck to you. (10/29/2009)

By paula

Will salt get rid of snakes?

I babysit my Grandkids at my son's house. It is on the end of the street with a big backyard next to a wooded area.