Disappearing Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
June 7, 2015
These are my spin on oatmeal cookies. My Hubs loves them with the raisins, but I know others prefer chocolate chips or just plain. So the raisins are optional, or you could easily replace the raisins with chocolate or butterscotch chips (I have done both and they are delicious).
They "disappear" really quickly at our house!
Total Time: 10 minutes Prep time, 9 minutes per sheet to bake.
Yield: Roughly 3 dozen
Source: Adapted from an Old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (we use Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon because it's strong)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/3 cup chunky applesauce (I use home-jarred)
- 1 cup very tightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, plus one yolk
- 1 & 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins (or chocolate or butterscotch chips) optional
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees F. If your oven temp selector isn't digital, I'd use 350 to be safe (in which case you'd need to bake slightly longer).
- In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk together to combine.
- In a medium bowl cream butter (by hand or using a mixer) and brown sugar together. Add applesauce and mix well. Add egg and yolk and stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to the medium bowl and stir. Add oatmeal and chips, and stir to combine.
- Using a cookie scoop or a tablespoon, place cookies on a silpat-lined or greased cookie sheet roughly two inches apart. If you want bigger cookies, use a larger spoon and place farther apart, and pat them down a little in the middle so they will spread evenly when they bake.
- Bake at 365 F for roughly 9 minutes. The edges should be lightly browned.
- Let sit on tray for 30 seconds. Using a thin spatula, remove cookies to a cooling rack.
- These are a little bit crisp on the bottom, but soft and chewy everywhere else. We enjoy these with a cup of coffee or a glass of ice-cold milk.
- Hope you like them!
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.