Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

Category Health
Sometimes dogs may show a change in behavior that you may need to ask your vet about. This guide is about does my dog sleep too much?

I have a 7 year old Yorkie; he weighs 8 pounds. For some reason he sleeps all day. I make him his food on a daily basis at the same time everyday. Along with the sleeping issue, he will not eat when I give it to him, like before. At some time of his own choosing, he eats. Anyway, the sleeping is something that I am concerned about.

He just had a bout with fleas. We went to the vet, and she put Advance on him. It seems to me that he is not comfortable. Always itchy on his lower back close to the tail. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

By poopsy from Norfolk county, in Canada

Answers

Best Answer

Hello, Please take your fur baby back to your Vet and have them do a complete blood panel on him. There might be something else going on with him. Good luck, Sherri & Tucker

My 4yr old Pit Chocolate Lab, started to sleep all the time. We got a Dane Boxer mix about a year ago, she is just about a year old and full of spit and vinegar. And she wants to play all the time and she tries to get the Pit to play with her. Sometimes she will, but mostly she will walk away and go lay down. So I don't know if it is jealously or should I have blood tests taken. I am very worried. She was so full of energy when we first got her, she is eating and drinking as usual. I just don't want her to be sick and I am not helping her ya know? We did take her to the vet, he said she was fine, but to bring her back in a while if things did not change. I don't know if it is she just settled down or there is a problem. I would appreciate it if any one has a Pit and has this issue please let me know. I am always afraid of diabetes. We had another pet that had it, but she was 13years old. Thanks.

By Debbie M.

Answers

Do you pay more attention to the younger dog than the older one? Maybe if you encourage the play with the older dog by playing ball or ruff & tumble with it .

Congratulations on giving another Dog a good home. But with no disrespect you should have found one around the same age as the long term resident. I have heard this story so many times. And seek another consultation from an independent Veterinarian.

I have a 4 year old pit/boxer mix. All the pibbles I have seen are very laid back dogs. And, I think labs are very easy-going also. So, with that combination, I don't think it's unusual for him to sleep a lot. And, it is summertime. Maybe the heat has something to do with it. Be sure not to let him get overweight. I keep my dogs' weight in check by counting calories. Keep a food diary if necessary, just like a human. Milk thistle capsules are very good for animals, they help cleanse the liver and rid the body of toxins. Try keeping a diary of his symptoms. You see him every day - the vet sees him only for a few minutes. Your dog is lucky to have such a concerned human.

Silly question here, but is it normal for dogs to sleep a lot? My dog does sleep, but I have noticed she sleeps a lot more lately. She follows me around the house everywhere I go. If she is sleeping and I get up to leave the room she will follow me where I go then get comfy and fall asleep again. Should I be concerned? Just asking since we will be boarding her this weekend.

By texasteacher

Answers:

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

She's not by any chance pregnant, is she? I am a breeder, and all of the dogs I own do that if they're pregnant. Towards their due date they become very possessive of me. (06/28/2005)

By sandraubu

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

How old is she? It's normal for senior dogs to sleep a lot. If she is a young dog I would get a profile blood test done because it wouldn't be normal. (06/28/2005)

By Vicki

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

No, she has been spayed. She is about 2 1/2. Where I live it is extremely hot and humid and we always keep her inside, it literally is the dog days of summer. She does have energy though for some part of the day. I also am not usually home during the day to notice her sleeping habits since I teach. But being home this summer I noticed it. (06/29/2005)

By texasteacher

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

Considering her age I would have the profile blood test done. You keep her inside but do you have AC? Also, is she a long haired dog? I have a long haired dog who's hair is extremely thick and she's completely a slug during the summer even though I have central air. To give some perspective she falls asleep on ice outdoors in the winter (MI). (06/29/2005)

By Vicki

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

I have owned several dogs, and they have all behaved this way. When they play, they can play hard and act like puppies. But they have all followed me throughout the day, sleeping at my feet. In fact, they wake up very easily, and then seem to fall back asleep just as quick. But I've always just viewed this as normal behavior. (06/30/2005)

By Pam

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

Oh yeah, we definitely have AC. I let her out early in the morning for about an hour, then keep her in most of the day with occasional quick potty breaks. I am not going to jump the gun on this one yet. She still is playing and being crazy like she always is. But I am for sure going to keep my eye on her. She is somewhat short haired but sheds like crazy. I could make a coat from all that fur! :-) (06/30/2005)

By texasteacher

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

The medication may make her drowsy (please check the side effects!) but if she eats well and is generally happy, she is probably fine. Shaklee Corporation makes great supplements that many people have given to their dogs to boost their immunity and general health. I give mine EPA (fish oil) for his skin, as he is part husky, and he has the energy of a puppy at 6 years old (and he sleeps whenever he can because it is just too hot for his coat!). You can check out www.shaklee.com to look at their ingredients. Kelly (05/11/2006)

By camo_angels

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

Sounds every dog I ever had. Unless it is a sudden change, I wouldn't' be worried, especially if the breed is not very active. She's probably just bored. Maybe boarding her in a doggy day care will help stimulate her. I give my dog those treat puzzles. (12/05/2006)

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

My 7 month old male Shitzu is always sleeping. If I had to guess I would say 20 hrs a day. Other than walks, which he loves, he is sleeping. (04/26/2007)

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

My Yorkie is about 1 1/2 and he sleeps a lot. Usually while we are at work, he sleeps most of the day. He sleeps all through the night. We play with him and he plays hard then sleeps well. I am home for the summer (I'm a teacher), and I notice that he still sleeps most of the day. (06/27/2007)

By rileylover

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

All of you, I'm no expert on dogs, but maybe this is why I feel I can shed a bit more light on this. I think that most of your dogs are just bored.

Unlike us, they don't need to work to pay bills, or hunt for food as they would in the wild, and having no responsibilities whatsoever, sleep is really an obvious option. Being a domestic dog is an easy life, but the trade off is that it's a boring one. (07/27/2007)

By Guest

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

I have a seven year old shi-poo that has been sleeping since I first got him (seven years ago). He also follows me everywhere but if I shake his chain to go outside, his energy level boosts immediately. The vet says he is healthy and I just think he's bored. (03/26/2008)

By NoahBoo

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

I have two labs and they do NOT sleep a lot. Maybe it's a small dog thing or maybe it's an age thing - one is 7 months, one is a year, but they are always up and moving if we let them out of their crates. (06/09/2008)

By amanda

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

I have a 2 year old great Dane that sleeps about 20 hours a day. He seems to be in good health otherwise, just enjoys his sleep time. (10/01/2008)

By Mel

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

My great Dane does, too. Don't worry about it, they're a lazy breed! It's the age. One minute bouncing off the walls, next they don't ever want to get up! (10/15/2008)

By claire

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

I think that this is normal dog behavior. Over the last months, we had a few other dogs visiting (taking care of for friends) and each of our guests ended up sleeping along side my dog most of the day. They actually only played with each other intermittently between naps so I don't think it is boredom. If you think they are acting out of the ordinary though, take them to the vet.

In answer to the other question about the cruelty of leaving your dog home alone the majority of the time. Just make sure that you are taking them for at least 2 good solid walks/runs per day (30 minutes or longer) to get their energy drained and if you will be away for extended periods of time, there are doggy daycares as an alternate choice. Or you can consider getting them a friend (another dog) for company or a dog walker. These animals are still living a better life with you than they would be as a stray or with an abusive owner so don't be too hard on yourself as you obviously care about your pet. Exercise, discipline, and love...ingredients for a good relationship with your dog, as per Caesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer), catch an episode if you get a chance. (10/20/2008)

By Michelle

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

It is in a dog's nature to sit quietly, sleep, and wait for food. (01/01/2009)

By Petenice

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

I was also concerned. I have a 1 yr old English bulldog. I try to take him to the doggy park at least 3x a week and we have a huge yard that he goes out in. He sleeps a lot but then I thought hey, he gets more exercise than I do. :) (02/24/2009)

By robin

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

Dogs like to sleep. They like to dream. If they were living in a pack that had to hunt for food they would sleep a lot after they hunted and ate. You should be glad they have the ability to chill out. (08/10/2009)

By deluxreverb