Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

Category Health
Sometimes dogs may show a change in behavior that you may need to ask your vet about. This page is about does my dog sleep too much?

I have a 7 year old Yorkie; he weighs 8 pounds. For some reason he sleeps all day. I make him his food on a daily basis at the same time everyday. Along with the sleeping issue, he will not eat when I give it to him, like before. At some time of his own choosing, he eats. Anyway, the sleeping is something that I am concerned about.

He just had a bout with fleas. We went to the vet, and she put Advance on him. It seems to me that he is not comfortable. Always itchy on his lower back close to the tail. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

By poopsy from Norfolk county, in Canada

Answers

Best Answer

Hello, Please take your fur baby back to your Vet and have them do a complete blood panel on him. There might be something else going on with him. Good luck, Sherri & Tucker

I have a 7yr. old Yorkie that I adopted. I have only had him for about 2 months. I noticed that all he wants to do is sleep. He is home during the day by himself and when I get home I take him out for a walk. Once he is done eating he just wants to lay on the couch and/or floor and sleep more. I do take him for a walk in the am, after work, and in the evening before bed. He doesn't play. I purchased toys for him and even toys that will dispense treats and he doesn't want to play with that either. Is this normal? How can I get him to be more active or want to play. I am not sure what his home life was before he came to our family. I did take him to doggy day camp once. They say he did good. I can't do that all the time, but I thought about once a week.

I am open to any ideas that you may have.

Answers

Two months is still new so the pup could still be adjusting to his new home.

I would have the vet check to make sure there are no underlying health conditions or depression going on with him. Dogs can take anti depressants, which are not that expensive and can help perk him up if the vet suspects depression.

That said, my mom adopted a beagle about 9 years ago and she had a terrible life before she came to us. The vet did diagnose depression and the pup did long course of antidepressants. That got her to be a little more active--like to take long walks, but to this day she has never learned to play with toys. We have learned to accept her couch potato behavior and it has become part of her charm. She is great to cuddle on cold days!

They all have their personalities and quirks. Hoping your pup gets a clean bill of health and warms up to his new life. Sending up lots of prayers!!!

Thank you. The vet did put him on Prozac for his separation anxiety. It was so bad that he would bark and whine for about and hour or two once we left. The Prozac has lessened that part. Part of me is thinking no one ever played with him.

I did hear that they had other dogs and cats in the house where he was at and they didn't bother with him. Also, we might be the 3 or 4 family that he has been with. We just give him as much love as we can and let him know he is loved.

If the vet says he is healthy, then I wouldn't worry. Some dogs are more active than others.

Your baby sounds like ours who was in Lord knows how many houses and 4 shelters before we got him. Unlike my sister dog, he did learn to play with toys, but it took awhile.

My sister dog leads a happy, couch potato life, which is good for my mom. The Prozac was a blessing to get her over her initial problems from her horrible past.

Prayers for your pup!! Sounds like he has found an amazing FUR ever home!! Take care!!!

Since he sees a vet quite regularly it would seem his health is okay but hopefully he will not have to stay on Prozac for a long time. Be sure to check with the vet often to see if you can try slowly weening him from a need for this medication. There are also other medications instead of Prozac that you might want to think about.

• It is sometimes a good habit to check behavior and medication out to be sure there are no "expected" problems any changes can make.
  • www.washingtonpost.com/.../e6128470-2963-11e8-b79d-f3d931db7f68_story...
  • Comments from several vets about dogs 7-10 years old and their sleep needs:
  • "Healthy adult dogs need enough sleep, which is typically 14 to 16 hours."
  • " Senior dogs commonly need more sleep once they reach the age of 7 to 10 years, particularly when their tummies are full after a meal. Theyre also generally ready for a snooze after their daily walk."
  • I agree that 2 months is too short a period of time for a dog to adjust to a new home, new family and especially a new schedule/routine.
  • I also know that adjusting is a slow process and may be even slower once they reach this age - change is difficult for them but with love and attention I believe it will happen.
  • Ad

• Sounds like doggie day is a very good thing and may be just what he needs especially if there are long periods of "being alone" happens most days.
  • Maybe leaving the TV or radio on during the day would also help. There are a lot of doggie cd's available to help dogs adjust to being alone. I have read some very good comments about these methods.
  • www.amazon.com/.../1591796423?tag=thrif06-20
  • Some things work for one pet that have no affect on others so it is difficult to say what might help your doggie.
  • Some people swear by the Thundershirt for all sorts of behavioral problems that may help to decrease the need for medication. Something to check out maybe?
  • www.dogfoodinsider.com/.../

Since your little guy is a small breed, I'd highly recommend taking him in for the vet to check him out just in case there is something related to his age or something breed-specific going on. Outside of that, try leaving a television playing, preferably with some Youtube videos set in a playlist that are geared toward canines with depression and/or separation anxiety. It might help.

I have sort of inherited a toy fox terrier who is almost 10yrs old & has terrible separation anxiety. While we do our best not to leave her alone bc she does go a bit bat-crap nuts when we have no choice. Grocery shopping, clothes shopping for MIL, & about every 3mos when DH & my doc appts fall in the same month if not the same day are usually the times when she just cannot come w/us. I have a tablet & a notebook so usually I set up one or the other in the kitchen, which is where she has to stay behind a barrier when we're gone (it's actually to longer pieces of cardboard that DH cut down & then glued together in a fold in order to make a barrier that sits up on its own, but I do wedge it next to the door frame using a couple of antique decorate cast-iron, irons on each side held in place with a nearly full bottle of detergent just so she won't push against it if someone rings the doorbell or delivers a package while we're gone).

Hope this helps in some way. Best of luck to you & your furry, four-legged kiddie.

I don't know how my husband does it, but that man can somehow manage to get once-feral cats to let him handle them is able to teach young, middle-aged, & even geriatric cats & dogs to chase a toy; hwr, I'm the one that generally manages to get the dogs to actually retrieve the toys they chase after.

We've sort of 'inherited' my mil's almost 10yo toy fox terrier. We've been around her for her entire life but she's been home w/us for little better than 6mos. Each time I take 2 steps, she takes 2 & 1/100th, positioning herself right under my feet. I'm actually legally blind w/some light perception but it's only at very, very close distances (2-3 inches from my face) & that little bit is narrow in the peripheral bc of a retina disease. I'll tell her, "I'm gonna step on you...!" and she'll run around like she's trying to nip at my heels, though never actually nipping. It's hilarious bc we go through this little dance dozens of times a day & night. The little bugger keeps life entertaining.

My 4yr old Pit Chocolate Lab, started to sleep all the time. We got a Dane Boxer mix about a year ago, she is just about a year old and full of spit and vinegar. And she wants to play all the time and she tries to get the Pit to play with her. Sometimes she will, but mostly she will walk away and go lay down. So I don't know if it is jealously or should I have blood tests taken. I am very worried. She was so full of energy when we first got her, she is eating and drinking as usual. I just don't want her to be sick and I am not helping her ya know? We did take her to the vet, he said she was fine, but to bring her back in a while if things did not change. I don't know if it is she just settled down or there is a problem. I would appreciate it if any one has a Pit and has this issue please let me know. I am always afraid of diabetes. We had another pet that had it, but she was 13years old. Thanks.

By Debbie M.

Answers

Do you pay more attention to the younger dog than the older one? Maybe if you encourage the play with the older dog by playing ball or ruff & tumble with it .

Congratulations on giving another Dog a good home. But with no disrespect you should have found one around the same age as the long term resident. I have heard this story so many times. And seek another consultation from an independent Veterinarian.

I have a 4 year old pit/boxer mix. All the pibbles I have seen are very laid back dogs. And, I think labs are very easy-going also. So, with that combination, I don't think it's unusual for him to sleep a lot. And, it is summertime. Maybe the heat has something to do with it. Be sure not to let him get overweight. I keep my dogs' weight in check by counting calories. Keep a food diary if necessary, just like a human. Milk thistle capsules are very good for animals, they help cleanse the liver and rid the body of toxins. Try keeping a diary of his symptoms. You see him every day - the vet sees him only for a few minutes. Your dog is lucky to have such a concerned human.

Silly question here, but is it normal for dogs to sleep a lot? My dog does sleep, but I have noticed she sleeps a lot more lately. She follows me around the house everywhere I go. If she is sleeping and I get up to leave the room she will follow me where I go then get comfy and fall asleep again. Should I be concerned? Just asking since we will be boarding her this weekend.

By Kari

Answers:

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

She's not by any chance pregnant, is she? I am a breeder, and all of the dogs I own do that if they're pregnant. Towards their due date they become very possessive of me. (06/28/2005)

By sandra Rechtsteiner

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

How old is she? It's normal for senior dogs to sleep a lot. If she is a young dog I would get a profile blood test done because it wouldn't be normal. (06/28/2005)

By Vicki

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

No, she has been spayed. She is about 2 1/2. Where I live it is extremely hot and humid and we always keep her inside, it literally is the dog days of summer. She does have energy though for some part of the day. I also am not usually home during the day to notice her sleeping habits since I teach. But being home this summer I noticed it. (06/29/2005)

By Kari

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

Considering her age I would have the profile blood test done. You keep her inside but do you have AC? Also, is she a long haired dog? I have a long haired dog who's hair is extremely thick and she's completely a slug during the summer even though I have central air. To give some perspective she falls asleep on ice outdoors in the winter (MI). (06/29/2005)

By Vicki

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

I have owned several dogs, and they have all behaved this way. When they play, they can play hard and act like puppies. But they have all followed me throughout the day, sleeping at my feet. In fact, they wake up very easily, and then seem to fall back asleep just as quick. But I've always just viewed this as normal behavior. (06/30/2005)

By Pam

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

Oh yeah, we definitely have AC. I let her out early in the morning for about an hour, then keep her in most of the day with occasional quick potty breaks. I am not going to jump the gun on this one yet. She still is playing and being crazy like she always is. But I am for sure going to keep my eye on her. She is somewhat short haired but sheds like crazy. I could make a coat from all that fur! :-) (06/30/2005)

By Kari

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

The medication may make her drowsy (please check the side effects!) but if she eats well and is generally happy, she is probably fine. Shaklee Corporation makes great supplements that many people have given to their dogs to boost their immunity and general health. I give mine EPA (fish oil) for his skin, as he is part husky, and he has the energy of a puppy at 6 years old (and he sleeps whenever he can because it is just too hot for his coat!). You can check out www.shaklee.com to look at their ingredients. Kelly (05/11/2006)

By Kelly

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

Sounds every dog I ever had. Unless it is a sudden change, I wouldn't' be worried, especially if the breed is not very active. She's probably just bored. Maybe boarding her in a doggy day care will help stimulate her. I give my dog those treat puzzles. (12/05/2006)

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

My 7 month old male Shitzu is always sleeping. If I had to guess I would say 20 hrs a day. Other than walks, which he loves, he is sleeping. (04/26/2007)

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

My Yorkie is about 1 1/2 and he sleeps a lot. Usually while we are at work, he sleeps most of the day. He sleeps all through the night. We play with him and he plays hard then sleeps well. I am home for the summer (I'm a teacher), and I notice that he still sleeps most of the day. (06/27/2007)

By rileylover

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

All of you, I'm no expert on dogs, but maybe this is why I feel I can shed a bit more light on this. I think that most of your dogs are just bored.

Unlike us, they don't need to work to pay bills, or hunt for food as they would in the wild, and having no responsibilities whatsoever, sleep is really an obvious option. Being a domestic dog is an easy life, but the trade off is that it's a boring one. (07/27/2007)

By Guest

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

I have a seven year old shi-poo that has been sleeping since I first got him (seven years ago). He also follows me everywhere but if I shake his chain to go outside, his energy level boosts immediately. The vet says he is healthy and I just think he's bored. (03/26/2008)

By NoahBoo

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

I have two labs and they do NOT sleep a lot. Maybe it's a small dog thing or maybe it's an age thing - one is 7 months, one is a year, but they are always up and moving if we let them out of their crates. (06/09/2008)

By amanda

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

I have a 2 year old great Dane that sleeps about 20 hours a day. He seems to be in good health otherwise, just enjoys his sleep time. (10/01/2008)

By Mel

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

My great Dane does, too. Don't worry about it, they're a lazy breed! It's the age. One minute bouncing off the walls, next they don't ever want to get up! (10/15/2008)

By claire

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

I think that this is normal dog behavior. Over the last months, we had a few other dogs visiting (taking care of for friends) and each of our guests ended up sleeping along side my dog most of the day. They actually only played with each other intermittently between naps so I don't think it is boredom. If you think they are acting out of the ordinary though, take them to the vet.

In answer to the other question about the cruelty of leaving your dog home alone the majority of the time. Just make sure that you are taking them for at least 2 good solid walks/runs per day (30 minutes or longer) to get their energy drained and if you will be away for extended periods of time, there are doggy daycares as an alternate choice. Or you can consider getting them a friend (another dog) for company or a dog walker. These animals are still living a better life with you than they would be as a stray or with an abusive owner so don't be too hard on yourself as you obviously care about your pet. Exercise, discipline, and love...ingredients for a good relationship with your dog, as per Caesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer), catch an episode if you get a chance. (10/20/2008)

By Michelle

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

It is in a dog's nature to sit quietly, sleep, and wait for food. (01/01/2009)

By Petenice

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

I was also concerned. I have a 1 yr old English bulldog. I try to take him to the doggy park at least 3x a week and we have a huge yard that he goes out in. He sleeps a lot but then I thought hey, he gets more exercise than I do. :) (02/24/2009)

By robin

Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?

Dogs like to sleep. They like to dream. If they were living in a pack that had to hunt for food they would sleep a lot after they hunted and ate. You should be glad they have the ability to chill out. (08/10/2009)

By James Eriksen

Pets Dogs HealthOctober 28, 2013
📓
🎂
🌻