AdviceDogs

Dog Escaping Outdoor Kennel

I've had my Great Dane since she was 6 months old. She was dying when I first rescued her! The thing is that the past 3 years have been hell for me, she keeps escaping the house. She was indoors at first, but she destroyed doors and furniture. I've gone thru 3 living room sets and my husband said he won't buy me another one. Things went badly when she broke a window to get out so my husband said she could no longer be indoors.

He gave me one more chance. I got her a crate, first a plactic one on which she managed to open the door. So I went and got her another one and she made a huge hole, bent it, and was able to get out, so my husband said it was time for her to be out!

We got her a kennel 10X10x6. Well she first made a huge hole on the side. After we fixed it she made another huge hole on the door. After we fixed it she did it again to the point where she's getting hurt and she keeps doing it! She also managed to make another hole on the front gate. It's chain link fence. I don't know how she does it, but she does. I'm just too tired and annoyed I don't know what to do any more.

My husband wants to put her down. He says she's too much to handle and we can't give her to someone else because we know no one is gonna put up with her like we have. During this 3 years I know she's not been bored. I'm here most of the time. I take them to the park and they have 1/2 acre. She has two other Dane sisters. I just don't know what to do anymore.

I do travel for work and will be gone for a whole week and I'm afraid she'll manage to get out and go missing. I hired someone to stay home with her and my other two Great Danes, but she's a handful. My other two are angels compared to her. I've tried shock collars too and no it does not work for her. Someone please help me!

I would invest in a professional dog trainer. Then, I would give her up for adoption if that failed. She may be perfect for a farm, or someplace where she could run free

The reason we dont want to give her up for adoption is because we are afraid no one is gonna put up with her i literally spend my nights awake checkkng on her just to make sure she doesnt take off! I will try the trainer hopefully that works