Dog Has Dry White Patches on His Back Legs?

My dog has had very dry white patches on his back legs for the last 6 months. They are progressively growing and today after playing, the biggest patch started to bleed. My dog has been taking Bravecto every 3 months since the patches appeared.

I saw the vet one week ago because his paws where sore and he treated that using an anti inflammatory and penicillin efficiently. I asked about the patches and he said it was nothing, but if I was concerned he would do a biopsy! It is inflamed and sore.

I need some advice please!

Best Answer

I believe you could put some coconut oil or olive oil (or fresh aloe vera gel if you have it) on the patches until you can see the vet. Both of these are natural and will not harm your dog if he licks it off but try to distract him (maybe feeding time?) until they have been on for a few minutes.
Maybe your vet can take another look now that they have started to bleed after playing as this indicates it may be more than just a dry patch.

If your local Pet Smart is open you might take your dog 'shopping' and let their vet technician take a look as they are well trained and may have some ideas. Call before your visit to make sure someone will be there. They do not charge for this.

Anonymous

Thank you very much I will start using coconut oil.
I Have been told again by the vet (different one) that is just dry skin that can be caught easily!

Best Answer

A lot of times this is from the dog licking an area or even where the dog sleeps. I do see some of these types of patches on the back of my dogs legs but I consider them normal because all of my outdoor dogs seem to have them. I usually put some fresh coconut oil on the area to keep them moist so they don't crack open and bleed.

The vet offered to do a biopsy and I'd suggest to you to have it done and then you will know the cause and what to do for your dog.

Anonymous

Thank you! I thought that too and I have already arranged an appointment.

Anonymous

Thank you for taking the time to answer.
It is very helpful.

this looks like hot spots from overlicking but it could also be mange. If the vet didn't think so, though, then it probably isn't

Pets Dogs HealthMay 18, 2020
🌻
🍀
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Dog-Has-Dry-White-Patches-on-His-Back-Legs.html