Dog Is Afraid of Everything

I adopted my dog 7 months ago and he bonded with me almost immediately. He became my shadow and would follow me everywhere and cling to me. When I leave he sits on top of the couch until I get home. He is very wary of strangers and still scared of people he's met multiple times. He runs away when people try to pet him and is very cautious when taking treats. He won't take his eyes off the person and slowly grabs the treat and runs away to eat it. On walks, if he sees another dog close by he will often try and run away. Even if a leaf or bird fly by he gets spooked. He's been getting better since I've gotten him, but I just want him to be happy and not so scared all the time. Any tips on how to get my dog to stop shaking in the presence of people and dogs? :(

Best Answer

Socialize is an individual process and requires time and patience and sometimes changing expectations.

A shy dog may never be the life of the party, but if he is healthy and not aggressive, then you may need to accept his quirks.

That said, ask your vet a recommendation for a one on one trainer. If you are near Pittsburgh, there are 2 that are amazing ones.

The one we chose for Clarence came to the house. She showed us how our behavior affected his and taught us reward based techniques to work on his skills.

He will never be the life of the party, but he is still an amazing boy who loves his people...just not most other people. Which we are fine with since he is happy and healthy.

Wishing you and your pup much happiness!!

Best Answer

The picture with your question looks like a rat terrier. If you dog is indeed a rat terrier the behavior you describe is common in this breed, in my opinion. They are very sensitive and wary of strangers. They are also very devoted to their owners. He probably never will be the life of the party, but he will be there to protect you from the boogy man.

Best Answer

insecure dogs can go two ways:
1) scary and aggressive (prone to attacking)

2) shy, retiring, and seemingly traumatized (apparently yours)

if I had to choose I'd choose a shy dog over an aggressive dog any day, but it is still a pity to have an insecure dog

I would just always provide firm but loving discipline, and make sure he gets a lot of exercise. In particular, especially if he's NOT aggressive, I would start by taking him on walks outside, then buiding up to going to a dog park (especially maybe the small dogs section only at first)

once he gets better at socialising with dogs it should make it easier to socialise with people

He is shaking because he had a bad experience. I would consider a trainer

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 28, 2018
🐛
🌻
📓