Puppy Afraid of Construction Equipment

We have construction going on in front of our house. My puppy wasn't afraid of it until one morning she woke and jumped in bed with me and has been scared to death since. She won't go outside and she would always go outside no problem! She paces back and forth. I try to comfort her. It only works for a minute. What to do? Help please!

Best Answer

Try a thunder shirt. They are made for animals who are afraid in storms. They are very effective. You can find them online mostly

Best Answer

The worst thing you can do is try to comfort the dog. Things like petting her and cooing "Now, now, it's okay" are only going to reinforce her fear response. Why? Because she thinks you are praising it. You can help her get used to loud noise by ignoring it or pretending to ignore it. Simply go about your business. Ignore any unwanted behavior from the dog. It may be too late, but try it anyway.

Your vet can help with suggestions for helping your puppy adapt, however your puppy may also need medication to help her over the difficult period.

The worst thing you can do is try to comfort the dog. Things like petting her and cooing "Now, now, it's okay" are only going to reinforce her fear response.

Why? Because she thinks you are praising her behavior. Best to act as normal as possible and ignore unwanted behavior. It may be too late, but try it anyway.

My Maltese puppy afraid of something in my yard and won't go outside..not really sure what it is...I say it may be a flag my neighbor put in his yard...she runs for steps every time we take her out...so now she is popping in my porch...what can I do?

Pets DogsDecember 9, 2015
📓
🌻
🐛