AdviceDogs

Dog Is Not Drinking Water

Our Maltese Shih-tzu, the white one, has stopped drinking water after her mom died some 3 weeks ago. Before that both dogs were drinking water at a normal amount per day. As her mom's health condition began to worsen she began to drink much more water at a time. She died of a heart complaint.

Since her mom's passing she has been having what I think is confidence issues, but that is improving. I can get her to drink some water by mixing it with her meals, but some times I have to add a little milk. I would appreciate your comments and advice.

I would talk to the vet about this. It is important for the dog to stay hydrated

I think you are right to think with a little time and a little help this situation will improve. But I would get a Vets input just to be sure. Could you do some extra activities with this little one? Perhaps some agility training or just more trips to the dog park. All those things are confidence builders.

Hi,

Many times a pet fountain wil convince dogs to drink more water. The fountain makes the water seem more desirable to the dog. Maybe this will help?

---Robyn

You have my deepest sympathy on the loss of your older pup.

I would have the vet check your pup as any change in behavior or eating/drinking/output can be a physical condition. It is possible it is just the mourning period, but safety first!

Post back what you learn. Blessings to all!

I am curious as to whether the elder dog died of some specific ailment that maybe the younger dog caught? Maybe it was a heart condition but maybe it was caused by worms or some other parasite, and this same parasite is afflicting the little dog and causing this lack of desire to drink water?

Also my Rabies red flag went up when I heard about a dog that doesn't want to drink water from one moment to the next, but it doesn't sound like that's what's going on