Dog Peeing Inside at Night

Category Training
Dogs sometimes need retraining to hold on until morning, especially when they are unsupervised while the family sleeps. This is a guide about dog peeing inside at night.

I have 3 male dogs, 2 of them are 2 year old Havanese, and the other is a 1 year old Pomeranian. All 3 of them are house trained and go outside. My oldest first dog has just started this new thing where he pees everywhere and anywhere inside the house, but only at night time while I'm sleeping. If I'm awake there are no accidents, but when I wake up in the AM I will find spots on the corner of the couch, near refrigerator, and even by his food & water bowl. I don't know what to do. Should I get dog diapers? Or remove their food/water? Any advice?

Answers

Best Answer

This sometimes happens when the youngest dog gets old enough to present a challenge to the perceived authority of an older dog. An older dog used to being the boss doesn't like it when a young one with a strong personality gets older. The peeing is a form of territory marking.

Walking all dogs every day as a pack is a must. Not just to go to the bathroom. Also, discipline in the form of training. If the dogs are trying to sort out who's in charge, the answer needs to be you.
Make sure they have some commands they must obey, such as sitting before they eat or before they go out the door. Don't allow them to bark at doors and windows, and so forth. More discipline, more training.
It is a must that all dogs be neutered if one is marking. These lowers their feeling of competition with each other.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Hi, has there been a resent change in the home?, has ur dogs been neutered?, my feeling is that your dog is saying to other dogs leave my water, he's laying his mark. Also he could be nervous as he's doing it when ur in bed.

Do not ever remove a dogs water bowl. Don't shout or disaplin ur dog as he won't understand. There are a lot of factors to consider so its difficult to suggest something. Why is ur dogs not going to bed for the nite when u r?

My 8 month old Cocker Spaniel has been house trained for months and has a dog flap so he has constant access to the garden. I have not had any problems for months, except the very occasional accident at the back door when it has been raining a lot. Little wimp ;)
However, all of a sudden he has now started to wee in the front hall way at night. He has free run of the house at bedtime and sleeps in my room on his bed, the area that he is weeing on is the only carpeted area downstairs. I can't help but think that he is wimpy and because he knows I am in bed he is just being lazy going at the bottom of the stairs rather than to the back door.

Any ideas?

By Georgea

Answers

Best Answer

I laugh often when my cats are meowing to go out like they will just die if I dont open the patio door immediately. Then when I do open it and the rain splashes them in the face they cant get away from that door fast enough. I had to entertain the thought of going outside myself to potty in the rain, at which point I forgave them. You should have a urine test done to rule out a bladder infection that may make urinating urgent. Then perhaps put down a pad if this is a behavioral issue. But I would be very suspicious of a bladder infection because it is such a change in behavior.