Male Puppy Suddenly Peeing Inside at Night

My 8 month old Cocker Spaniel has been house trained for months and has a dog flap so he has constant access to the garden. I have not had any problems for months, except the very occasional accident at the back door when it has been raining a lot. Little wimp ;)

However, all of a sudden he has now started to wee in the front hall way at night. He has free run of the house at bedtime and sleeps in my room on his bed, the area that he is weeing on is the only carpeted area downstairs. I can't help but think that he is wimpy and because he knows I am in bed he is just being lazy going at the bottom of the stairs rather than to the back door.
Any ideas?

By Georgea

Best Answer

I laugh often when my cats are meowing to go out like they will just die if I dont open the patio door immediately. Then when I do open it and the rain splashes them in the face they cant get away from that door fast enough. I had to entertain the thought of going outside myself to potty in the rain, at which point I forgave them.

You should have a urine test done to rule out a bladder infection that may make urinating urgent. Then perhaps put down a pad if this is a behavioral issue. But I would be very suspicious of a bladder infection because it is such a change in behavior.

Would you be upset if your 1-1/2 or 2 year old child started having accidents at night? No? Then why are you upset at your puppy. At 8 months old he is still a baby! He won't be old enough to have complete control of these accidents for at least another year depending on the breed!

With no disrespect has it occurred to you that your Dog may have a Bladder infection? Talk to your veterinarian.