Dog Poops and Pees Inside When It Is Raining

I have an 8 yr old rescue Doxi; she is from a puppy mill. When it is raining outside she won't go outside. There is a doggy door for them to use and she goes in an out. But when it's raining she will go in the house. She will pee on the carpet right in front of us! Then she potties down the hall, I have put pee pads down for her, sometimes she uses them sometimes she won't. The past few days she has peed on the carpet right in front of us sitting there. I am very frustrated and don't know how to stop this. Can someone please help me. Spanking her hasn't helped and I don't know what else to do. The other dogs don't do this.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

If this is a rescue dog, it could mean the dog has some sort of trauma associated with the rain. You can try a few things to stop her from peeing in your home.

• If it is raining confine her to one area in your home. Put down pee pads for her to use.
  • If you have a crate you can put the dog in the crate with a pee pad when you think she has to go. Leave her in the crate for about 1/2 hour to give her plenty of time to pee.
  • When it's raining you might need to take her outside yourself. Put her on her leash and take her around the yard. Show her there isn't any harm in going outside to pee in the rain.

It sounds like this dog was left for days outside in the rain and is now afraid of the rain. You will have to teach them there is nothing to be afraid of. Go out with her in the rain and show you are there too and it is fine for her to be in the rain.