AdviceDogs

Dog and Territory Issues

My 3 year old male Pit Bull and I have lived in my current apartment for 3 years. He loves people and other dogs. My neighbor just moved in about a year ago and they have a male Pit Bull the same age. They just don't like each other and already have had 2 fights. The first fight was very bad and the second fight resulted in just scratches. They both think they are the boss and no one is letting up. How can we get them comfortable around each other and or will they eventually get used to one another?

By Selena

A pecking order will probably end up being developed between them, if given enough time with one another - But it could be bad if they are fighting. I would suggest that both you and the other pet owner re-establish that YOU are boss with your pet. I had to do this with my husky mix, Bailout, when we moved to the city. He is very gentle, but he likes to be in charge. I had to lock him in his (fluffy) kennel quite a few times and even smack his butt a couple of times in order to get my point across. I'll admit, I absolutely hate doing this, but he remembered that my husband and I are boss and now he just plays with other dogs when they come over.

I hope this helps... Best of luck to you, your neighbor, and both of your dogs. God bless!