Dress Bled on Itself in Wash

Brightly colored sections on a dress can bleed onto the surrounding lighter parts. This guide is about what to do when a dress bled on itself in the wash.

My daughter's dress's background colour has run on to the main colour. What do I do?

Answers

I HAVE WHITE AND BLACK DRESS AND THE WHIITE PART OF THE DRESS IS FADE WITH NAVY BLUE. HOW DO I GET THE DRESS WHITE AGAIN.

a red and white dress was washed and the red bled into the white

I have a white blouse with navy polka dots and the navy has bled onto the white in large areas. This is a favourite blouse so is there any way to rectify this problem?

Just washed the bottom half of my dance costume which is white but the top half is black and the dye has run the material is a nylon type

Bought red rugby shirt and colour had run on to collar how do I remove it and stop shirt running again

you could try rubbing salt into area's that have run and leave for a day or two. its worth a try.

I purchased a black & off white wool Pendelton jacket and had to have the sleeves shortened and the black wool fibers ran onto off the white design of the jacket. I tried to brush the black wool design with a miracle brush and the black fuzz will not come out. What can

I do with it as I haven't even worn the jacket as yet?

While hand washing a red knit blouse with white trim, I left it in the water soaking too long and the red faded onto the white trim. It is now all red.

Rewash with SHOUT color Catcher sheets they work fantastically

I have a dress that is navy and white. I washed it on a cold wash, but the navy run into the white. What can I do to revive it? It is made of polyester.

Answers

Best Answer

I would also recommend Ritz Color Grabber. And for future reference, I've read many tips regarding white vinegar as a "color setter." For any items that might bleed - before washing the item for the first time - soak it overnight in a bucket of cold water to which white vinegar has been added.

For a gallon bucket, it's usually ½ cup to 1 cup white vinegar. I've had VERY good results when doing this. Items don't bleed & also retain their colors much longer. I have a red tee that must be 10 years old now & has been laundered 100s of times but is STILL a bright vivid red! Good luck.

Best Answer

Years ago I had the same thing happen, the darker color of the dress bled onto the white trim (cuffs) of the dress. This is something you almost have be very "artistic about" removing- which is what I did, and it worked, but it wasn't very easy.

If you can cover the area (s) where the dark fabric meets the white fabric, then you can take a cotton q-tip dipped into a 1/8 bleach to 7/8's of water.

Lightly blot the "bleed" part with that bleach and water dipped q-tip, then rinse it after the darker color lifts off of the white fabric part only, doing this until you've got the white part white again.

This works easier at the kitchen sink too.

You don't want to wash the entire dress to remove the bleach water on the area you've lifted the dark color out of, because that will cause a whole lot more color bleed everywhere.

Only rinse well, the part you've applied the bleach bath to.
That's what I mean about this being not very easy to do, as
it's tedious and very time consuming, but...it can be done.

As for keeping the colors separate in the next wash, I see it's posted here to use Ritz Color Grabber. I've never tried that,
as I can only mention what I've personally done when I have
had a dark color bleed onto a white part of the same outfit.

I have a white lace dress with a black zipper. It says dry clean, but I washed it in cold water. The dye as come from the zipper onto the lace dress.

The dress is just lace no underskirt so it's see through. How can I get the dye out? Please help.

Answers

Shout color run remover. It is found in the laundry aisle.

I have a red and white striped dress that has turned out pink and red when washed! How can I get it back to red and white again? Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Linda from Sydney, Australia

Answers

Here in the US there is a product that you can add to the wash, looks like a thick dryer sheet, and it traps the dyes that are floating around in your wash. That might help if you can find it, I believe it's made by Shout Detergent.

Also try RIT fabric dye remover for these types of mistakes, they have a website and if you can't find there, I am sure you can order. Whatever you do, don't dry it!

Sorry if I'm late with this - have had computer problems for over a week. Dylon have a product called Runaway that removes dye that has run in the wash. I have used it succdessfully. Here is a link to the product:
<http://www.dylo  loursafe.htm>

By Sheryl (Guest Post)

Sorry, I had this happen to a black and white dress of mine once. Unfortunately, it was ruined. Nothing worked. I was told it was a defect in the fabric - the manufacturer did not set the colors properly when making the fabric. My dress did say it was washable, so after trying everything, I was able to return it to the store "as defective" and got a refund. It was a bummer because I absolutely LOVED that dress too!

For silk cotton material dresses, dry wash can be replaced by a shampoo wash. Usually we do that, but this time while we washed a silk cotton dress (Chudi top) the dark dye mixed with the lighter dye. The dress color is magenta and sandal. After shampoo wash we seen that the magenta dye color mixed with the sandal dye color. Is there any chance to recover the actual sandal dye color by removing magenta dye color? The dress material is silk cotton where normal wash is not applicable.

Answers

You could try the Rit Color Grabber

I have a dress that has a black skirt attached to a white lace top. I stupidly left the dress to soak over night in order to remove a make up stain from the white lace, but the black skirt of the dress bled onto the white lace leaving it a very light shade of purple. Would a color safe bleach be safe to use on the white lace? Also, the dress has since dried so I have a feeling the dye has now set. Is there any hope of saving my dress?
Thanks :-)

By Bec

Answers

Did the dress air dry or dryer dry? If dryer dried, the stain may be set. Since it is unwearable as is, you could try soaking it in a solution of powder dishwasher detergent and lukewarm water. Mix 1 cup detergent into enough water to keep the dress submerged overnight. Weigh it down with a plate on top in the container if needed. Then rinse well and air dry. If it helped but was not completely successful, repeat.

If you don't have a dishwasher, the el cheapo brand from the dollar store works fine. You also could try laundering the dress as usual by itself with 2-3 Shout Color Catcher Sheets. The box says use 1 but I have found that more seem to work better. This product can be found in the detergent aisle at the supermarket. Hope one of these helps.

I have a blue dress with white collar and cuffs. I washed this item and the white has turned grey. How do I get it white again?

By Carole from England

I have a light blue dress with red cherries on it and the red ran when it was hanging to dry.What do I do? I didn't realize it was "dry clean only" and I hand-washed it in cold water. How do I get the bleed to go away without making it bleed more?

By Shannon G