Clothing is Bleeding Onto Itself

When washing clothes, colors may bleed. This guide is about clothing is bleeding onto itself.

My daughter's dress's background colour has run on to the main colour. What do I do?

I have a dress that is navy and white. I washed it on a cold wash, but the navy run into the white. What can I do to revive it? It is made of polyester.

Answers

Best Answer

I would also recommend Ritz Color Grabber. And for future reference, I've read many tips regarding white vinegar as a "color setter." For any items that might bleed - before washing the item for the first time - soak it overnight in a bucket of cold water to which white vinegar has been added. For a gallon bucket, it's usually ½ cup to 1 cup white vinegar. I've had VERY good results when doing this. Items don't bleed & also retain their colors much longer. I have a red tee that must be 10 years old now & has been laundered 100s of times but is STILL a bright vivid red! Good luck.

Best Answer

Years ago I had the same thing happen, the darker color of the dress bled onto the white trim (cuffs) of the dress. This is something you almost have be very "artistic about" removing- which is what I did, and it worked, but it wasn't very easy.

If you can cover the area (s) where the dark fabric meets the white fabric, then you can take a cotton q-tip dipped into a 1/8 bleach to 7/8's of water.

Lightly blot the "bleed" part with that bleach and water dipped q-tip, then rinse it after the darker color lifts off of the white fabric part only, doing this until you've got the white part white again.
This works easier at the kitchen sink too.

You don't want to wash the entire dress to remove the bleach water on the area you've lifted the dark color out of, because that will cause a whole lot more color bleed everywhere.

Only rinse well, the part you've applied the bleach bath to.
That's what I mean about this being not very easy to do, as
it's tedious and very time consuming, but...it can be done.

As for keeping the colors separate in the next wash, I see it's posted here to use Ritz Color Grabber. I've never tried that,
as I can only mention what I've personally done when I have
had a dark color bleed onto a white part of the same outfit.

I have a burgundy and white jacket that when washed the white areas turned pink. I have tried washing with Oxiclean with no change. Do you know if I use the RIT color remover if the burgundy areas will be affected by the solution or not? I used this product on material a very long time ago, but that shirt was solid color not multicolored. If it will affect the burgundy I will try some of the other solutions suggested on this site.

Answers

Best Answer

The color bleed onto the white in your jacket. This is a manufacture defect and shouldn't of happened if you followed the washing instructions carefully. I sure hope it doesn't say dry clean only.

If it has washing instructions on the label and you did as it said, then I would contact the company and show them pictures of your jacket. I would ask for a replacement jacket or what they can do to correct this problem.

I have a silk shirt which is black and white stripe. On the label it said wash in cold water which I did and the black has run into the white. Is there anyway I can fix this?

Thanks.

Answers

A very easy online search for "color bleeding or dye transfer" produced many good ideas to remedy your problem. However, if the black continues to bleed, you may need to use the dye transfer process each time you wash the shirt. You can try a search yourself and this very helpful site:

http://laundry. … From-Clothes.htm

My shirt is silk and it says not to use on silk, also I live in
Australia and haven't heard of the product.

Always try to keep receipts and buy from stores that allow returns in cases like this. You followed the rules, after all. Even if you were able to fix this somehow there's no guarantee it wouldn't happen again the next time you wash it.

A shirt that isn't washable isn't usable, so get the store to reimburse you.

I have a white lace dress with a black zipper. It says dry clean, but I washed it in cold water. The dye as come from the zipper onto the lace dress. The dress is just lace no underskirt so it's see through. How can I get the dye out? Please help.

I washed a white piece of clothing with red thread embroidery and all the red bled onto the white, so now it is a shade of pink. Another piece of clothing that I washed had a maroon lace, the clothing itself is a self-print light beige, and the maroon lace bled onto the shirt. So now there are light maroonish color stains below the lace. (I washed both clothes separately).

I wanted to know will the boiling water and bleach method work on these shirts or will it completely ruin my clothes? Any other suggestions?

By XYZ

Answers

Boiling water could cause shrinkage. For the white shirt, you could take a q-tip and dip an end in bleach and dab the spots, it will be time consuming, but should work, then when you rinse the bleach out you will have to be careful that it doesn't run into the red, because you could end up with pink threads. Bleach will take the color out of anything colored. Whenever I have something colored that has a lighter color decoration or vice-versa, I use Shout brand Color Catcher sheets, found in the laundry department at stores. Whenever I have used these, I have had no problem with colors fading onto other things. I don't think they will work for correcting problems that a person has, but they sure work beforehand. My mother taught me when I was just a little girl to be really careful about colors that might run. back then that usually included washing items like that in cold water, by hand, then laying the item on a bath towel and rolling it up tightly to get the excess water out of it, then hanging it to dry.

New clothes with dyes that bleed can be soaked in salt water then dried prior to washing, this prevents the dyes from running.

My mother-in-law told me about soaking clothes in salt water, I have also heard about vinegar water, but never had any success with either one. Actually what I was told was that the soaking kept the clothes from fading, not from colors running into each other.

Try washing the items by themselves with 2 or 3 Shout Color Catcher Sheets, available in the laundry aisle at the supermarket. This product has saved several garments for me.

I have a red and white striped dress that has turned out pink and red when washed! How can I get it back to red and white again? Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Linda from Sydney, Australia

Answers

Here in the US there is a product that you can add to the wash, looks like a thick dryer sheet, and it traps the dyes that are floating around in your wash. That might help if you can find it, I believe it's made by Shout Detergent.

Also try RIT fabric dye remover for these types of mistakes, they have a website and if you can't find there, I am sure you can order. Whatever you do, don't dry it!

Sorry if I'm late with this - have had computer problems for over a week. Dylon have a product called Runaway that removes dye that has run in the wash. I have used it succdessfully. Here is a link to the product:
<http://www.dylo … loursafe.htm>

By Sheryl (Guest Post)

Sorry, I had this happen to a black and white dress of mine once. Unfortunately, it was ruined. Nothing worked. I was told it was a defect in the fabric - the manufacturer did not set the colors properly when making the fabric. My dress did say it was washable, so after trying everything, I was able to return it to the store "as defective" and got a refund. It was a bummer because I absolutely LOVED that dress too!

I have a white football jersey with blue strips on the sides and blue sleeves. I washed it and the blue bled onto the white making it baby blue. How do I return it to its original white color?

I have washed my daughter's denim jacket which has a cream coloured fur collar. I followed the washing instructions to the letter, but as you can guess, the fur is now blue! Please can anyone help? How can I restore the fur to its original creamy white colour?

I have a top with red and green colors, but after washing the green color bled onto the red color. Now I can't wear it. Is there any solution to remove the green color from red color?

By Priya from India

I have a black and orange top, the black has gone onto the orange when I washed it. How can I get it out?

By Marie P

I recently brought a red and white morph suit and the white areas have turned slightly red/pink. Is there any way I can remove the red/pink from the white areas completely? Please respond as soon as possible as I need to use the morph suit for Friday.

By Matt

Answers

If you rub a sliced open lemon on it, it will draw the pink coloring out.

My little girl had a Santa Suit outfit that was dark red with the little fuzzy white collar. The red ran onto the white. I took a bottle of lemon juice out of the fridge, saturated a cotton ball and began to go over the collar with the cotton ball. I didn't saturate the collar but it was very damp.

I noticed that some of the red came off onto the cotton ball but most did not. I let it sit for about 5 minutes and got some no-name brand Oxyclean powder and mixed it in some water. With an old toothbrush, I scrubbed the collar with the Oxyclean solution and the collar was saturated when I was through. I noticed the red on the collar had turned brown.

I then put it in the washer with a color catcher and regular old Tide. I did cold water for an extra long normal cycle. It took all the red stain out of the collar without doing any damage to the rest of the top.

I washed my daughter's cheer shirt that is white and has blue and gold trim. The blue bled on the white and the gold. How do I get the blue of the white as well as off the gold?

By Cher from Orange Park, FL

I just washed for the first time a red sweatshirt with a white embroidered motif, and the colour has run from the red into the white. Can I rescue it, and how can I prevent it happening with the other sweatshirts which are similar (one violet and one jade) also with white embroidered motif, before I risk washing them?

By Jenny G

Answers

I found this link. I hope it helps you get the dye out of the fabric!

Run cold water in a sink and place a tablespoon of all-fabric powdered bleach in the water. Make sure to use a powdered bleach that works with all colors and fabrics

Read more: How to Remove Transferred Dye From Fabric | eHow.com http://www.ehow … ml#ixzz1m8SVMAqz

I have a jacket and a vest made of 86% nylon and 14% spandex that I soaked in cold water and Epsom salt before washing. The black bled into the pink and it has left spots, lots of them on the garments. I washed them in cold water with no fabric softener after the soaking, but the color still bled. What can I do now?

By Lyn from Saskatchewan, Canada

Answers

I just used Oxi Clean and it worked like a charm. I washed cranberry fabric with colors/white print and all the white was pink! 5 yards of fabric at $9.00 a yard and I thought I ruined it before I even started! I put it in the sink with warm water and a bunch of Oxi Clean and the water instantly turned pink, within minutes the white was white again! I am amazed and relieved. It really works!

Ok, I came home from a cruise, finally pulled the pile of whites out of the suitcase and into the wash, not noticing the fuchsia tank top in the "mix." The 9 pcs. of whites turned so pink that I was surprised the fuchsia top was still bright and colorful!

Re-Wash with bleach - no luck
Oxiclean (which I had) - no luck
Two boxes of Rit Dye remover - no luck

After staring at the pile of wet pink clothing for 2 days, figuring I had now set the dye, I pulled out my Cauldron, started boiling the water, added bleach.

#1 - Lightweight cotton shorts - Turned white before my eyes!

#2 - Jean weight shorts - took a little longer and more stirring

#3 - Tank top with black/silver sequins and other bangles - SUCCESS! PLUS the sequins, bangles, and beads still sparkle!

Nine pieces of whites SAVED!

Note: The water temp is important - the heavy shorts were not responding, but thanks to a post in here, I turned the burner back on, the warmer it got the faster the pink disappeared.

Also, from a post - change the water and bleach for each "load." I did use quality Clorox - newly purchased. Bleach starts losing its strength with age.

Thank you everyone!

I made a Santa suit and had to wash it. The red dye has run into the white and made it pink how do I get the white fluff white without making it worse?

I am in need of help. I have a white polyester blazer with black lapels, and the black has transferred onto the white in patches that look purple all over the blazer. Is it possible to remove the purple patches without disturbing the black lapels on the blazer? I haven't even been able to wear the blazer yet.

Any feedback is appreciated.

I have a light orange Harley Davidson cotton short sleeve shirt. It has black dye spots on the orange on the right shoulder. Can it ever come out?

I have a white jacket with black trimmings. It's my absolute favorite!
The outer shell is:
70% viscose, 26% polyester, 4% elastene lining.
Inner:
94% viscose, 6% elastane.

I have hand washed it before and it has been fine although I accidentally used hotwater this time and it has come out yellow. It is curently soaking in cold water. Please does anyone know if this is fixable or have I ruined it? I can't find any information for cleaning tips anywhere!

Answers

Anonymous

try dying it white - use your washing machine and a Ritz or Dylon dye solution (liquid dye would be best rather than the powder).
Good luck - no harm in trying

For silk cotton material dresses, dry wash can be replaced by a shampoo wash. Usually we do that, but this time while we washed a silk cotton dress (Chudi top) the dark dye mixed with the lighter dye. The dress color is magenta and sandal. After shampoo wash we seen that the magenta dye color mixed with the sandal dye color. Is there any chance to recover the actual sandal dye color by removing magenta dye color? The dress material is silk cotton where normal wash is not applicable.

I've got a multi coloured shirt with the following colours; white, red, grey, and dark blue. After washing the shirt, the red and blue colours bled into the white and now my shirt is ruined. Please I need your help.

By Jesse

Answers

Try rewashing it again this time putting salt in ur water. It will stop the colors from running, and hopefully take out the stains.

Help! I made my daughter's pink and white uniform tie-dye on the white. She has 2 tournaments this weekend. It cost $200 and no way can I buy one as it can take weeks. What can I do?

By Esther W.

Answers

Rit dye used to make a product called color removal, that may work.

Load More