FloralCrafts

Drying Flower Petals for Sachets

Any suggestions on drying flower petals for use later in sachet bags? I don't have a lot of space and laying them out for days is really inconvenient. If anyone knows of a quicker method please please share.

By Betty

I've had great success drying flowers by bundling the ones I want dried in to a bouquet and hanging them flower/foliage down from the ceiling in a warm, dry part of the house.

Depending on the warmth and dryness of where you hang the bouquet, it takes around a month to completely dry. Make sure to leave plenty of air circulation space around the bouquet-don't try hanging the bundle to be dried against a wall. I took down a hanging plant and use the hook to hang the bouquets I want to dry.

Usually the warmest and driest spot in my house is in the living room. Kitchen and bathroom are the worst because of high humidity (cooking, bathing).

Most flowers retain scent and colour this way so the petals and foliage make lovely sachet and potpourri ingredients.

Added bonus: the hanging bouquets look very 'old-world' or 'country' hanging in my country cottage:)

I have a gas stove that operates on the old pilot lights that are always on. Consequently, the oven is always warm. Rose petals on metal cookie sheets will dry in less than 24 hours in my oven. The petals have a more interesting color than if they were air-dried.
I've seen stacked drying racks (for fruit?) somewhere. Try googling that.

Another possibility would be a set of stacked sweater drying racks. Those might be easier to find than the fruit drying racks. I used to have one that would dry 3 sweaters at a time.