Dumpster Diving Down Under?

Please help me if you can. I live in Australia and I'm also new to this site. I have never heard of dumpster diving. I know I don't get out much, but this is new to me. By the way, your site is great!

By Nancy from Sheidow Park, So. Australia

Dumpster diving is when somebody looks in dumpsters or trash cans for usable items. Also just walking or driving along the street if people have put furniture, etc. out on the curb with their regular garbage.

When you dumpster dive be very concerned about what ma lie underneath. this is one way bed bugs travel. no matter how clean people are they may still have these or other bugs. so debug the furniture before taking it into your home. below is a picture off the internet on what to look for.

The bugs are the size of an apple seed, reddish brown and as you can see, they leave black marks where they have been. if you get bit by one, it looks like a blister at first and they itch real bad. most likely you will see 3 bites in a somewhat row. the only way to get rid of them is with high heat.

If you decide to dumpster dive check with your local government agencies first because it's illegal in many places. Besides bed bugs you can also bring in cockroaches, mice etc in stuffed type items like pillows, sofas, chairs, mattresses and box springs. You can indeed find some really good, safe to collect treasures when dumpster diving though; just be sure to wash and/or sterilze everything before bringing the safe ones into your home.

I've never actually gone inside a dumpster but I've found some great things left next to them or next to trash cans like an oriental rug, a really nice silk tree, pots for plants, a small storage cabinet, glass dishes and once even found a box of three six packs of unopened beer in glass bottles whose 'born on' date was only a couple of months before. I guess the person who left them along with other items in the box had decided to quit drinking - LOL ;-)

If you rummage around a dumpster (giant trash receptacle) you may be cut by broken glass or other items. Not a good idea. It's a cute phrase, but please don't take it literally.

It would be going into a giant rubbish bin and rummaging about to find (maybe) something useful. It is a gross habit, and here in the U.S. south east, some will even bring their kids to join in. I find it a low class high risk thing to do and even tackier to involve children.

That is such a good attitude to have toward your community especially those clearly in need. You are definitely gonna make America great again

In the US we have large metal receptacles we call dumpsters for the collection of trash waiting to be picked up by trucks to be hauled away. Some people go through these dumpsters to salvage items that may be of use to them-these we refer to as dumpster divers. This may be more information than you needed, but hope it helps you to understand.

Furniture in the garbage is one thing I would not recommend taking into your home because that's how bugs travel, but sometimes you can find some items that can be of value to you that were not as valuable to the person who threw them away.

I have found dishes, jars, luggage. Someone once got a new car and threw away their old tires, rims and all. I got a whole set of tires for my car and my only cost was picking them up. After someone has had a yard sale, check their garbage that night before it gets picked up. Many items can be salvaged and if you think it's good, but don't want it yourself, you can sell it and make a little money. Clothes and rugs are another place where bugs hide but they can be cleaned a lot easier than furniture. Shake them out well before bringing them into your home or putting them in your car. Wash them and dry them with high heat before wearing them.

KLS8800, I am sorry but unless you've personally asked the type of people you mentioned here what their circumstance is as to why they climb inside a dumpster and sometimes with their children, well, I will pray for you that you never find yourself in the position where you or your children ever have to do such a low class and tacky thing.

Has it occurred to you that the type of dumpster diving you're speaking of might be for food, clothing or simply trying to collect bottles and cans or other items to sell to earn some income? A Blessed Christmas to you!

May God bless those who strive to be resourceful in unconventional ways. Also, may our Creator give a swift kick in the caboose to those who judge them!

Better Living Green Living ReusingDecember 19, 2011
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Dumpster-Diving-Down-Under.html