QuickBreads

Easy Bagels

I gave up bagels a long time ago because of the high calories and carbs. These bagels are so much lower that I can enjoy them for breakfast again. They are not difficult to make. You can vary the flour, and even make it gluten-free. Wait until they are cool to slice. They can be toasted. You can also vary the toppings. I used truffle salt and toasted sesame seeds this time. I will try cinnamon raisin next time.

They can be refrigerated up to 3 days. If you slice them and wrap separately, they can also be frozen.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 26 minutes

Total Time: 41 minutes

Yield: 4 bagels

Source: Skinnytaste

Link: https://www.skinnytaste.com/easy-bagel-recipe/

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper sprayed with oil, so the bagels won't stick. If you have a silpat, you do not have to grease it.
  2. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. Add the yogurt and combine until well blended.
  4. Lightly flour a surface. Knead the dough about 20 turns or until no longer sticky. You may need to add more flour.
  5. Separate into 4 equal balls.
  6. Make each ball into a rope, and then pinch the ends to make a round bagel.
  7. Brush on the egg wash, and put toppings on both sides.
  8. Bake for 22 minutes. Increase the heat to 550 F and bake for 4 minutes more. You can leave the bagels in while the oven is heating up. My oven had not reached 550 F when the 4 minutes were up.
  9. Cool at least 10 minutes before eating. I cooled mine on a wire rack.

If you don't want to make your own bagels, but you don't want all the carbs, simply cut out the dough in the center of the bagel (after slicing it in half first). This way you have a nice, crusty trench for things like tuna salad.

That is true, and it is the bread part that fills you up and keeps you full. These bagels will keep you satisfied.

WOW!! This sounds amazing! I am a bagel fan to the nth degree and need to try this. I have never found a good bake recipe and have no patience to do the traditional boil method. This sounds like a great weekend treat! Need to try it! Thanks bunches for sharing!! YUMMMMMM!!!!!

I hope you enjoy it.