Easy Sesame Chicken Recipe
Chopping the chicken can take most of the time to recreate this Chinese food favorite at home. This is a recipe for some easy sesame chicken
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Just as good as any Chinese restaurant, and very quick to make. The majority of my time was spent chopping the chicken. I made the rice in my Instant Pot, so we had dinner in record time.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Source: adapted from Budget Bytes
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce (I used low sodium)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar (I used 1 1/2 T Truvia brown sugar blend)
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- In a bowl, whisk the egg, cornstarch, and salt and pepper.
- Trim fat off the cutlets as best you can, cut in 1-inch pieces.
- Put the chicken in the bowl and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Make the sauce. In a bowl stir together the soy sauce, water, sesame oil, brown sugar, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, cornstarch and sesame seeds.
- Heat a large skillet or wok with the oil. When the oil is very hot add the chicken and all the egg mixture. Cook the chicken, stirring once in awhile, until golden brown and cooked through. This will take from 7-10 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the chicken. Toss the chicken to coat with the sauce. Once the sauce is thickened, turn off the heat.
- Serve the chicken with rice (I used brown). You can also garnish with sliced green onions.
June 21, 20170 found this helpful