AdviceFood Safety

Effects of Thawing and Refreezing on Food

How does freezing over of refrigerator effect liquid cartons of eggs, citrus juice, and fruit juice? The refrigerator in an "assisted living" facility room froze unopened cartons of liquid eggs and unopened bottles of expensive OJ and unopened bottles of fruit juice. Management refused to replace them after the refrigerator was replaced 3 times and settings adjusted. Other than eggs and juice, items had not been refrigerated by me.

I donated existing eggs, orange juice, and fruit juices to management, and bought replacements at store. I was concerned that in the thawing process, bacteria might form which would affect the taste and possibly the integrity of the products, was afraid to consume the once-frozen items. Was I right in doing this?

By Jan M. from College Park, GA