Egg Crates for Veggie Storage

Use egg crates as a base for vegetables. If a veggie becomes "weepy" before you can use it, it won't drip onto the others. Cut the crates to fit your basket or shelf.

Extra: Because you can ripen tomatoes in a brown paper bag, the cardboard crates are great for green tomatoes.

Kelli, I think this is a great tip! I get eggs from Costco so always have eggs crates in the recycling. I line the bottom of my crisper drawers with kitchen towels now but this will be better. Thanks!

What a wonderful way to reuse and protect the veggies from each other. I love it! I'm going to myactions.org and I am going to say I do this for my Bat World Sanctuary Team. Thank you so much, now I know what to do with the egg cartons!

This is another great use for these. I use them to start seeds indoors in the spring. Cut an X in the bottom with a utility knife, add soil and seeds. When the seedlings are ready to go cut each section apart, spread the X from underneath for the roots to grow thru, and plant the entire thing. The carton will slowly decay and it acts as a slight barrier to weeds and insects while the seedling takes root.

What a great tip - especially as I have just cleaned out a gooey, squishy cucumber that somehow got lost in the veggie drawer! Thanks Kelli.

This is a great idea but remember that you don't need to refrigerate spuds or onions. I was as surprised as anyone when I visited this site. Who knew right?

http://www.stil … articles/view/31