Eggplant And Zucchini Casserole

Category Casseroles
Eggplant and zucchini are a natural pairing, both growing in similar climates and common in Mediterranean cooking. This is a guide about making eggplant and zucchini casserole.

Well worth the time to put this delicious summer vegetable casserole together. It makes a great luncheon dish with just crusty French bread and a light dessert. Serve it with any kind of meat and salad for a delicious Sunday dinner.

• 2 1/2 cups eggplant
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 3/4 cup onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup whole pitted black olives
  • 4 green peppers, seeds and membrane removed, cut in thin strips
  • 3 cups zucchini, cut in 1/2 inch slices
  • 2 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and quartered
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Peel eggplant and cut into 1/2 inch slices. Salt, stack the slices, cover with a plate and place a heavy weight on top. This will press excess moisture out of the eggplant.

Put olive oil in large, deep skillet and saute onions and garlic until onions turn golden. Add the olives, green peppers, zucchini and tomatoes to the skillet. Add drained eggplant and sprinkle the mixture with a small amount of olive oil.

Add oregano and simmer, covered, over very low heat about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover skillet and place in oven for an additional 15 minutes to reduce the amount of liquid. Before serving, salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.

Servings: 8-10
Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes all together

Source: This recipe is from an old church cookbook.

By Keeper from NC

Top Comment

Hmmm. It's been a while since we had eggplant, so this great-sounding recipe provides the perfect excuse for putting together a casserole which contains this delicious vegetable.

Thank you Keeper. Thumbs up from me too.
Pookarina

I just made this up the other night and the amounts can vary, depending what you have on hand. my family really liked it.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x11 inch glass casserole dish. Layer slices of peeled eggplant, and peeled zucchini in dish, alternating with sprinkled Parmesan cheese, shredded Fiesta cheese mixture and your home made spaghetti sauce. Or you can brown about 1/2 lb. ground beef. Drain it and add it to a can of stewed tomatoes, or a plain can of diced tomatoes to which you have added about 1/2 an onion and 1/4 of a green pepper.

I mixed in a couple of squirts of catsup.

Add your favorite spices, Mrs Dash, garlic powder and paprika and salt to taste. Spread the sauce in between layers ending with sauce and sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese and the fiesta cheese.

Bake for approximately 45 minutes covered with foil. Remove foil and place under broiler for about 10 minutes. My family likes it a little crusty.

By ValleyGalRuth from Harlingen, TX

Top Comment

That sounds good! I have made it before with eggplant similar to that but not with the squash included. Since I got both yet from the garden, I will give it a try. Thanks Connie!

By libby (Guest Post)
Top Comment

Ruth, this sounds like it will be a tasty dish--I will try on my guys! Good to read others from the Rio Grande Valley also use this great site. I am from Mcallen but now live in KY. thanks! libby