Eligibility for Social Security Survivor Benefits?

Recently my 6 year old daughter's father passed away. I have tried applying for survivor benefits for her twice now. Each time I have brought in her birth certificate, which has his name on it, his death certificate, and a copy of acknowledement of paternity which was provided by vital records in the state my child was born in.

The problem is the AOP I have is not certified and I have been told time and again that I cannot get a certified copy of AOP in the state of New Mexico. Social Security is not accepting my copy and continues to deny my case.

By Sarah

Best Answer

I believe you should seek help through an attorney who specializes in Social Security matters as they can find a way to resolve this. Many attorneys in this field will take your case without payment until your claim is approved. Make sure you read everything before signing as attorneys charge differently but it is usually a one time fee and generally based on your back payment check and maybe 2 or 3 months of your benefit.

There are also different laws in many states so be careful of what you sign. Read everything and ask questions.

Be sure you have all of your papers concerning this matter and maybe you will receive back payment from the first time you filed for benefits. I hope you really filed for benefits and did not just take the word of a SSA clerk.

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceApril 20, 2015
😷
🐛
🌻
😎
📓
Generated 2020-07-18 11:58:23 in 697 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Eligibility-for-Social-Security-Survivor-Benefits-29.html