Eligibility for Social Security Survivor Benefits?

I have been getting Social Security survivor benefits for a long time and I was trying to see how I can get it taken from my mom. I no longer live with her and she's still getting my check. I don't see any of it and her name is on the top of the check and mine is on the bottom. How can I get that changed? It's been almost 2 years since I stayed with her and I really need my money.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

February 24, 20171 found this helpful

Only the SSA can answer your question and make changes. You can call or make an appointment with your local SSA office.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
February 24, 20171 found this helpful

This sounds like an issuer for your local ssa office, or, if needed, you can call your local Legal Aid office in case you need to litigate.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
February 25, 20170 found this helpful

Call SSA. How old are you? Even if you are no longer living with her, if she is paying your expenses, she can still get it. Expenses could include school tuition, car payments or car insurance, medical, dental, vision insurance or expenses, rent to you, past medical bills for you.....

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 27, 20170 found this helpful

No she's not she uses it for her bills

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 25, 20171 found this helpful

That money is for your benefit. Notify Social Security. You are probably entitled to retroactive payments.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
February 26, 20172 found this helpful

Several questions come to mind that we do not have an answer to.


How old are you now?
You say 2 years have passed so why did you or someone wait all this time before asking this question?
Are you still a full time high school student?
Do you live alone and support yourself?
Or who has been supporting you all this time? Housing, food, clothing, medical, transportation, entertainment, school supplies
Whoever receives this type of benefit checks must complete reports as to how the money was used/spent so your mother must have completed these forms at some time.
All of these questions will probably have to be answered so be sure to discuss everything with a local Social Security agent as they are the only ones that can answer your question and make any changes. Be sure to take any papers/records pertaining to these benefits that you have available.

Reply Was this helpful? 2
February 26, 20170 found this helpful

You have to make sure she has worked for X number of years, but you should contact a lawyer of yours or your mothers to get the full details and process.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Business and Legal Legal General AdviceFebruary 24, 2017
Pest Control
Coronavirus Tips
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-07-23 17:33:59 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

General AdviceLegal