General AdviceLegal

Eligibility for Survivor Benefits

I was 14 and 15 when my parents died. I started receiving survivor benefits as did my sisters. I turned 18 and a few months later they stopped before I even graduated. The same happened for one of my other sisters. My older sister is still getting the checks and hasn't been to school in 6 years and is about to turn 25. Why is she still receiving the checks when we are not? Can my other sister and I get them back?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

I'm so sorry for you loss. :( I would call your local SSA to see what the issue is: 1-800-772-1213

Survivor benefits stop at age 18, or 19 if you are still attending high school full-time. Is your sister disabled? That may be why she is getting the checks.

Call social security as soon as possible. You will need your social security number and your sisters, as well as each of your parents and their dates of birth and death.

They are supposed to pay until you either turn 18 or graduate high school, or whichever occurs last, unless you are disabled.
There is a time limit to file claims, so do it quickly.

Only Social Security can answer a question like this but as stated, survivor benefits are only paid until 18 - 19 years of age and usually stop within a few months of the child turning 18 or finishing high school. Most likely, your benefits were handled correctly and you will not be due any additional funds.
If you have paperwork from when your benefits started or social security numbers then you will be able to obtain information concerning your own benefits but Social Security will not tell you anything about your sister's benefits. They may look them up but this is private information so they will not give you information about anyone's account.

Benefits may continue if a child has a disability. Very little information can/will be given over the telephone.