Establishing Child Support Order

My child's father has passed and I don't know anything, but his first name. Child support sent me a letter to file for support. What can I do?

By Kim

If your child's father has passed away, you are entitled to a check every month for the child's support until the child is 18, or 19 1/2 if still in school. Call your Social Security Office immediately. You can apply for it by phone. Do not even need to go into their office. Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays!

Bexpress

I used to do child support enforcement for a living. How do you know the man is dead if all you know is his first name? Go to the child support office and give them as much information as you can provide. If the child is illegitimate, which I am guessing is the case, they will have to establish paternity before proceeding with any other action to gain monetary support for your child. This can be done by testing relatives of the man who is the father. If paternity is established, the child might be eligible for part of the man's estate, depending on what state you live in, and of course, entitled to receive social security death benefits until age 18 or otherwise emancipated.

Be sure to keep your appointment at the child support office as they can answer all your questions and tell you what they can do. This is also important for your child as someday he/she will want to know about their father. It will be good for everyone concerned if you can answer the questions with good information. Good luck to you. PS--do not be ashamed about anything in this matter. Your first concern is seeing that your child is provided for.

Social security does pay a check every month, BUT paternity would have needed to be established BEFORE the father died. Social Security won't help you, I'm afraid. They aren't going to locate his relatives for you. They aren't going to do $500 DNA testing for you. The burden falls on you to raise this child by yourself.

And how do you not know his last name, but know that he's deceased?