AdviceFood Safety

Expired Eagle Brand Cream

I have a can of Eagle brand cream. It is a sweet cream used in baking cookies. The expiration date is 2009, is it usable?

By Joyce

If you have any doubts, throw it out!

For heaven sakes, two months maybe, I would try to use. Two years no.

Actually, it is good for FIVE years past the date of expiration! I learned this working with the local food pantries. If your too concerned to use it, then please pass it on to your local food pantry. They can sure use it.

It is pure sugar, which virtually never goes bad. Open it and smell it and then use it!

Anonymous

The date on the can is a 'best used by' date for quality and flavor and is still good for at least two and even many more years but the quality is simply not as fresh. When you open the can if the contents don't smell 'off' and don't look unusual then it's safe to use.

I have one personal exception to this rule and that is I will not use a dented can after the expiration date not matter what but that's just me being squeamish.

I wouldn't use it, being two years old, it probably won't taste as fresh as it should.

You know...is it worth it? One can of milk? Throw it out! Matter even in cans changes composition over time.

Every time you open a can, make sure to check the inner and outer seams and see if they still look intact and the correct color. Also check for an 'off' odor. Make sure the lid and bottom aren't pop-able. They need to be somewhat firm when pressed with a finger (compare to other cans to learn).