Fall Planting for Spring Bulbs

Just wanting to share some spring flowers with you all! I guess my tip would be, "If you want this in spring, get your knees dirty in the fall and plant those bulbs!"

What a joy it is in spring when they unfold from a long winters nap!

By Deb from East Brunswick, NJ

3 More Solutions

Fall is not the time for cold climate flower gardeners to "live in the moment." It is actually the time when planning for next spring's blooms will produce the biggest payoffs.

Fall Planting Guide for Spring Bulbs

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I recently bought some bulbs to plant. Unfortunately winter came to zone 5 in Michigan and the ground is covered in snow. I'm not sure if the ground is frozen or not. Can I still plant them this year or is it OK to plant them next fall?

Answers

Your climate is a lot like mine in Pgh and I have had some luck planting when we get early winter, if it hasn't been a total freeze for a month straight...like if we just get a snow before I get out, I am usually OK if it hasn't been a hard freeze for weeks.

That said, I gave up on bulbs a few years ago when our other Pittsburgh challenge got out of control...deer....they ate up everything I planted. Even things they supposedly didn't like.

UGH! Happy planting!!!

The ideal time is the fall. If you dig to the recommended depth the snow will insulate the bulbs and keep them at the correct temperature to bloom next spring.

Anonymous

You could plant them in a container, protect the container from bottom to top and put it outdoor. Next year once their leaves will turn yellow and then dried you can put them in your garden. You can also grow them indoors in a pot.

You could plant them in a container, protect the container well from bottom to top and put it outdoor. Next year once their leaves will turn yellow and then dried you can put them in your garden. You can also grow them indoors in a pot.

Answer this Question

Good morning all! It's now early November. :o) Starting to cool off a lot here in New York as well. However is it still a good time for bulk planting? I've many flower bulbs I'd like to see bloom during around Easter. Also, will I have to worry about wildlife consuming all my planted bulbs at all? (Like groundhogs, squirrels, or any other critters?) Thank you much. Have a good day.

GroovyGirl

Answers

Actually most bulbs NEED to be planted in the fall so they can over-winter and grow properly in the spring.

My mother (southern NE) will cover her beds of bulbs (she has smaller beds) with chicken wire then straw. This is pulled back in the spring and the straw put on the mulch pile. There are many guides for planting bulbs, most things depend on where, when, type of bulb.

I love going to Barnes & Nobles and reading the garden books designed for my particular area. I also love going to my favorite local nurseries and picking the brains of the gardeners there. They are a fountain of wisdom applicable to your particular planting problems. My advice is only good for people, like myself, that live in the deep deep south of Texas and our clay problems, you probably live somewhere else.

Answer this Question

Home and Garden Gardening BulbsMarch 29, 2016
😷
📓
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Fall-Planting-for-Spring-Bulbs.html