Planting Spring Bulbs

I recently bought some bulbs to plant. Unfortunately winter came to zone 5 in Michigan and the ground is covered in snow. I'm not sure if the ground is frozen or not. Can I still plant them this year or is it OK to plant them next fall?

Your climate is a lot like mine in Pgh and I have had some luck planting when we get early winter, if it hasn't been a total freeze for a month straight...like if we just get a snow before I get out, I am usually OK if it hasn't been a hard freeze for weeks.

That said, I gave up on bulbs a few years ago when our other Pittsburgh challenge got out of control...deer....they ate up everything I planted. Even things they supposedly didn't like.

UGH! Happy planting!!!

The ideal time is the fall. If you dig to the recommended depth the snow will insulate the bulbs and keep them at the correct temperature to bloom next spring.

Anonymous

You could plant them in a container, protect the container from bottom to top and put it outdoor. Next year once their leaves will turn yellow and then dried you can put them in your garden. You can also grow them indoors in a pot.

You could plant them in a container, protect the container well from bottom to top and put it outdoor. Next year once their leaves will turn yellow and then dried you can put them in your garden. You can also grow them indoors in a pot.

Home and Garden Gardening BulbsNovember 17, 2018
🍂
🎄