CatsPets

Feeding Three Week Old Kitten

My daughter-in-law (Katrina) has a cat who had 6 kittens about 3 weeks ago. All was well until the last few days, 3 of them were not getting fed or getting any attention from the mother cat, while the remaining 3 were.

Katrina purchased a supplement drink she could feed the kittens with. Today, 2 of the "unfed kittens" died. She was told by a friend, that the reason they died was because their tongues were coated in white which meant they lacked iron. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? Why would the lack of iron kill the kittens? Please answer and help us to keep the 3rd sick kitten alive.

By Grandma Chris

Oh my gosh, that's horrible. I would take the kitten to the vet ASAP. It's not worth it for the cat to be suffering.

You need to buy Queen's Milk at your local pet store. I raised several new born kittens this way.

What kind of milk replacer did you use for the kittens that died? Also were you making them go to the potty after each feeding and burping them?

Blessings, Robyn

Here is a link I read that discusses the many reasons why the kittens tongue may be pale. I would take it to the vet or the humane society as well if you cant afford to care for it, as vets can be very expensive!

answers.yahoo.com/.../index?qid=20080717163151AAM9FfY

Blessings, Robyn

Blessings, Robyn

I would say that the kittens were already sick thats why the mother wouldnt bother with them.

Make sure you are washing its rear with a warm cloth afterward and very gently rubbing the sides and tummy. This makes them go to the bathroom. If they can't go, they will die.

Deficiencies can kill kittens, but I wouldn't take a friend's advice. I'd take a licensed vet's. The mother will often reject kittens if there is something wrong with them, causing them to die. This gives the healthy kittens access to the milk and a better chance to live. So you can assume this kitten has been sick since it was born.