Finding Financial Help for a New Roof

My wife and I are 72 years old. We live on SS with no other income. Our roof is 31 years old and needs to be replaced. We cannot afford to pay for a new roof because we live month to month with what we both receive from SS to pay for all our bills. Is there somebody that could help us out?

By Bob W.

Best Answer

Contact a church in your area. Baptist Churches have youth groups called World Changers that do this. They may also have people in the congregation who may help do it. Good Luck and God Bless.

Best Answer

It may be worth checking to see whether there's a firm that would be interested in leasing your roof to put solar panels on it, if it is south facing. You get cheaper electricity and the firm gets the feed in tariff for whatever you don't use. The solar firm will need to put up scaffolding to install solar panels, so you can take advantage of the scaffolding for you or a friend to patch the worst leaks, and the cheaper electricity will put you in a better financial position to take out a loan for a more thorough job in a few months' time.

Best Answer

Hello - probably most of the people reading Thrifty has some of the same problems you are having (need versus not enough money) so all anyone can do is offer places for you to ask for help.

We have no idea where you are located (what country?) but the advice may be the same. Check local churches, local charities, etc. for addresses of where to go and who to see.

Many people in Florida still have tarps on their roofs from hurricane damages that happened years ago.

Since we don't know where you live, the best advice we can give is to contact your city chamber of commerce, senior center, or city government and see if they have some sort of program that might be able to help you. Good luck. It is hard to live on a fixed income.

OK thank you

Anonymous

I don't know what State you live in but I live in Ga.and here we have a Community Development HUD program for senoir citizens as well as a habitat Repair program. I am 74, in 2014 HUD
replaced my roof and did other things needed in my home. So please check your State and the county you live in to see if they offer these things
as well. In my state you can also dial 211
(united-way) and get information on a lot that's offered and where to apply for them.I hope this helps.