AdviceCharity

Finding Free Yarn for Charity Projects

I knit hats and scarves for the homeless at the Kalamazoo Gospel Mission in Michigan and have done so starting the 3rd year. I don't need anything extravagant because I can make any type of yarn look good as a hat and scarf and the people love them! I am disabled and I do this to keep my mind and hands busy besides being able to do something for someone who can use these things. It makes me so happy to keep people warm in the winter. I knit these things all year long and take them to the people in November. Can anyone help me find sources for free yarn?

By Carolyn J from Kalamazoo, MI

I recently did a fundraiser in 2012 to support our local food bank. I put a shout out to the folks at Craigslist and with that and the website, I got enough to last all of this year, too.

Give it a try. The local thrift stores can sometimes help, too.
PBP

Try this website: www.freecycle.org It will direct you to the freecycle group in your city or town. People post things they don't want and all you have to do is reply to their post and pick up the items. You can also ask for items, but your first post must be a give-away.. .anything free ... even a magazine, a pair of socks, a plant pot, anything! People give and get furniture, craft supplies, clothing, etc. Great site..and it's free! No cost to join and no membership fees. Check it out!

Bless your heart! Thank you for doing this for those in need in your area!
Try advertising. First a note on the bulletin board at your community center, local grocery store, etc. Go easy at first. I'll bet that there are a TON of folks that have stashes of end of skein or unfinished projects that they would like to clear out.

Then try your club newsletter or the newspaper (ours has a category for free things). Also try talking to the people at your yarn store-- they know which customers might have extra or who inherited a bunch. Also keep an eye on "estate" sales for a stash of remnants.

Good luck to you, and again thank you for helping those in need.