Finding Free or Inexpensive Appliances

I am in need of a refrigerator, washer, and dryer. I lost just about everything and need some help. Any ideas where I can find replacements.

By Cynthia J from Wyandotte, MI

Check with thrift stores in your area, places like the Salvation Army and Good Will. I know with the Salvation Army you can go to their office and apply for a voucher for free household items and if they have them, you can get the items. However most of those places expect you to haul them yourself.

l do know low income people that go to the laundromat because they can't afford a washer and dryer. Doing that isn't cheap, I know because in the apartment complex where I live one load is $3.00, but you have to do what you have to do. I would recommend talking to your pastor. He might know some people that have some of these items sitting around, wondering how to get rid of them.

There is an online site called Freecycle.org on which people offer for free many things including appliances. Joining is free, and once you have satisfied the joining requirement, you can post wanteds for things.

I have gotten a crockpot, a bicycle, shoes and books. Check to see if there is one in your area. Craigslist has a free section, and there are sometimes appliances on there. Hope this helps.

Join Craig's list or Free cycle.

After reading the replies the one I didn't see listed was your electric company. Here there is a program where they replace your old ones with new energy saving appliances. Yes free! If you qualify you may be able to get in that program in your area.They weatherize your home(or apt) so it saves all around.Haul your old things away,or you can call the number they leave you,get a 25.00 rebate on old appliances,microwaves,air condition units etc.

If you do not qualify, since they haul away the old appliances, maybe you can get some of those. All they keep is in working condition(not energy saving ones) are about 10 years old. Most are still in great condition.

These are great ideas; sure one will work out for you. I for the first time in my life do not have my own washer and dryer. It is so expensive to pay for each load. Here it is 1.50 to wash, more to dry each load. I hang dry many things. Still somehow God provides. I will keep you in my thoughts. Good luck!

Home depot takes trade in appliances then sells them cheap!