Finding Keys to Fit Murphy Chests

Vintage and antique furniture frequently is missing the original keys. Trying to find replacements can be a hassle. This is a page about finding keys to fit Murphy chests.

I'm in need of a key for a Murphy 19 cedar chest! Anyone know where I can get one? Help!

Answers

Best Answer

Finding a key to an older cedar chest may be akin to finding a needle in a haystack.

• Occasionally there will be cedar chest keys listed for sale on eBay but as a general rule no one will know the number so it may or may not fit.
  • I believe your only choice would be to contact a local key shop and see if they have a mobile unit that could make a key like this.
  • Some key shops have what is called skeleton keys and they may have a generic key for you to try.
  • Most likely, your key would have to specially made and that means "money" but it may still be worth a try.
  • You may be able to visit shops in your area and look at their cedar chests and see if they have a similar chest with a key for you to copy.

There is not a lot of history about the Murphy cedar chest company but I believe it went out of business in 2004.
These were usually called the "poor people's hope chest" as they were usually less costly then a Lane.

Best Answer

Here is a site that might be able to give you some advice.

www.antiquekeys.net/

I also know that a lot of antique stores have old keys. You might be able to find one there. I'm not sure if you need a coded key or if it is a generic skeleton type key.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

My wife has an old Murphy Cedar Chest #4045. She has lost the key for the lock. We have checked locally with a locksmith and they do not carry the blanks. Does any one know where I might obtain a key or a blank? I have searched the web without results.

By Robert

Answers

Best Answer

We have a local hardware store that carries old keys. You might want to check in your neighborhood to see if any have them.

Consumer Advice Product FinderNovember 8, 2017
🎃
🌻
🎂