Finding Rebuilding Assistance After a Fire

Category Home
Insurance should cover the cost of rebuilding your home. If you do not have it, you may be able to find assistance through your church or community. This is a page about finding rebuilding assistance after a fire.

My parents had a fire a year and a half ago. My father is disabled and my mother helps my father. They didn't have insurance and are living on the bottom part of the house. The top is completely damaged. What options do they have to help them?

By Yolanda

Answers

Best Answer

When you own a home it is an absolute necessity to have home owner's insurance and when you rent, it is necessary to have renter's insurance. IF your parents have a pastor they should talk to him/her. Sometimes a pastor will take up a special offering for needy members of the congregation.

There might even be some members of the church that can do some of the work, or furnish some of the required materials. Just because your father is disabled doesn't mean your parents are hard up. IF he needs 24/7 care maybe he should be in a nursing home. I'm sure your mother could be doing some work. A lot of people get a large amount of disability money. How much is the repair work going to cost? Maybe they should sell the house as is and move into an apartment.

Best Answer

They need to get a repair estimate from a trained professional. If the frame of the house is damaged, the house could be unstable. You wouldn't want the top part of the house collapsing on your parents.

There's more to consider here than just "handyman" work. There's also plumbing, electrical wiring, etc. Everything must be done up to code, not just done "well enough."

If the cost of the repairs is more than your parents can afford, they'll need to consider selling the house just for the lot. The house itself will either be repaired by the new owners or razed. Obviously this won't pull very much money, but it may be the only option, so be prepared to help your parents get set up in a handicapped accessible apartment.

Finally, they'll need a visit from a financial planner. They'll need to plan for their remaining years and will need to know what they should have on hand for spending money, plus how much emergency money they need to have saved, what types of accounts to own, what insurance they really need and don't need, and so forth.

I need help rebuilding my house, after we lost everything. My fiancee and I have three kids. We have been together for ten years. We have a two, three, and eight year old. We have no money or material. Looking for help. I have no clue where to start or where to find the right help. Anything would help. Thank you.

By Jon H. Joplin, MO

Answers

Best Answer

Did you have homeowner's insurance on your house? If you did you should have made sure to have enough coverage that you could afford to rebuild. It is really inexpensive to have insurance, instead of having to worry about a place to live. As far as finding the materials and labor to rebuild I don't know what to tell you. I know some areas have a store called "Restore" which is connected with Habitat For Humanity they sell used doors, windows, cabinets, etc. cheaply but those things won't do you any good without lumber for the frame work, etc.

What are some agencies that can help me rebuild/restore after a house fire? Unfortunately we did not have homeowner's insurance. And now we no longer can move forward without financial assistance.

I am disabled and my family and I have done as much as we can. The fire occurred on December 22, 2018.

Answers

Social services in your area, Habitat for Humanity, HUD.org and local churches. You may want to start a gofundme page.

Home and Garden Repair HomeOctober 7, 2018
🌻
🎂
🎃