Finding a Lost Cat

When your pet comes up missing, there are things you can do that may help you locate it. This guide is about finding a lost cat.

I have been fostering kittens for a while now, and have a special needs cat as well as a mature cat in our household. One thing I teach all the kittens very early is to come to me, using food as a enticement. When I feed them in the morning and night time, I call them saying "food food". When I give them treats, I always call them using the words "treat treat".

By using these 2 words together and only at food or treat time, your kittens and cats will come out of anywhere when hearing this call. Somehow they identify the double words more so than a single word. Works for me every time. And when one of my own cats have escaped the house, they come from any where when they hear the distinctive call.

My cat got out before the big snowstorm. I have been told to put out strong smelling cat food and a clothing item of mine. This will hopefully give him a direction of where he lives. Does anyone have additional ideas?

By joyce m mundie from Pittsburgh, PA

Answers

Quickly! Put a "Lost Cat" add in the pet area of Craig's list & your local newspaper or nickle add (with you area posted) these are usually free & call all the local vets & animal shelters & leave your phone number & a description! Also, hang lost cat notices on the poles of mail box's in your area. Cover the front & backs or these notices with clear tape or have them laminated to keep out the weather. You cat may be in someone's home or in a shelter...

I once found my cat stuck under my house & he couldn't get out because of the lattice, & I found my neighbor's cat in my garage. He was gone a whole month, but after one month, he was skinny, but okay. I would have never known this was my neighbor's cat but he came next door & asked if I'd seen it, so be sure to talk with all your neighbors, just in case! Ask your neighbor's to look in their garages & under their house! If you do find it, put a quick-release collar & tag on it.

Great advice by cyinda. Your kitty is very close to home. be sure to check any small buildings, under the house, any holes a cat could possibly get into.

Any traps in the area? Keep in touch with neighbors.

Don't give up looking! I just heard about a local family who found their pug, who had gotten loose before the bad weather. A group trapping feral cats to have them fixed actually caught him in one of their traps after several weeks! He was hungry and dehydrated a bit but fine and glad to be reunited with his owners. Good Luck!