Finding the Value of a Louis Orr Etching

Category Art
Louis Orr is an American etcher known for his etchings of famous Paris buildings as well as other notable structures. This is a guide about finding the value of a Louis Orr etching.

I own a Louis Orr etching of "St Germain des Pres' in Paris. I want to know what it is worth. Any ideas how to get this information?

By Iris

Answers

Best Answer

One of the best ways to find real work values of collectibles is eBay. Try to search for exactly what you have and see if any current auctions come up. Note whether the item is bid on yet and follow the auction to completion to see what it's sold for. People make the mistake of looking at asking or starting prices on eBay and assuming that's the value. It could be a lot more or lot less. They also have an option for showing only completed auctions which is very informative if you collectible has been listed in the past.

If you don't find your item at all, you can set up an alert and they will email you when similar objects are post.

If you don't find your specific etching on eBay, you can try a general search for the artist, which may give you a ballpark estimate of the value.

I have found, in a relative's home, a complete set, all 6, of Duke University Etchings by Louis Orr. They are still in the box from The Old Print Shop, New York. I want to sell the six etchings together. I have found recent sale prices ranging from $325 to $400 for three etchings of different Duke buildings. What should I ask for the complete set of six etchings?

Thanks.

Answers

The value of anything is what someone will pay for the item. You can search online for possible auction house prices, EBay or Craig's List prices, or take the etchings to a reputable auction house for an value estimate.