Freezing Cakes

Category Baked Goods
Freezing Cakes
Sometimes we need to bake ahead or have too much leftover cake; freezing might resolve this issue. This is a guide about freezing cakes.

Make cupcakes and freeze without frosting. Put in individual plastic bags when freezing. Add to lunches; they will thaw out in time for lunch.

By MKYMLP from NE PA

Can you freeze baked cakes in the cake pan or should you remove the cake and wrap in wax or foil to freeze?

By Rosemary

I'd remove the cake from the pan, wrap and then freeze it.

I have been decorating cakes for about 10 years. I take the cakes out of the oven and turn out of the pan. Let it cool for about 5 - 10 min. While it is still warm I wrap in plastic wrap and then freeze. This keeps the moisture in the cake and makes it very moist. Frost it frozen. It doesnt take long for it to thaw. But if you keep it frozen you wont get the crumbs on the top of the frosting.

I use those aluminium loaf tins when I want to freeze cakes with their own special "lids" so they can be sealed. Cook them on a metal cookie sheet, seems to make the cakes cook better. Then leave them in the loaf tins to cool, put the lids on and write what they are and the date. I then put them in a plastic bag as well to make sure they are definitely sealed. If you freeze them in a cake pan, that means that unless you have a huge amount of cake pans, you have lost the use of the pan.

Can you freeze cakes and cupcakes? If so for how long?

By Dotti

You can, my mother froze banana bread muffins with icing. She wrapped them in wax paper and froze them in a rubber made type bowl. Obviously you really can't wrap something with a thick icing but you could put them in an air tight bowl and freeze them. Use a microwave to thaw cupcakes.

A cake might be a bit difficult but it must be possible. Couples have been freezing the tops of wedding cakes for years and saving the cake for their first year anniversary.

Yes, I was about to say the same thing. You can freeze them for a long time. You'll be fine.