Freezing Celery

Do you have to blanch sliced celery? Can you just freeze celery that's cut into 1/2 inch pieces?

By Lis F.

Yes. Wash it and dry it thoroughly (so ice crystals do not form on it after freezing, which makes it deteriorate faster) and try and get as much air out of the container you are freezing it in, before freezing. Peppers and onions can also be frozen in this manner.

Oh, I made myself unclear. No, you do not have to blanch(e?) first. Just wash and dry.

I bought celery when it was cheap around Thanksgiving. I washed it, made sure it was real dry, chopped it up, and froze it. I put it in pint bags, but didn't stuff the bags. That way, when it was frozen good and hard, I just smack the bags on the counter, and it breaks up, and I use just as much as I want.

I never blanch it. It works out real well, and when I cook with it, it looks and tastes and cooks like fresh. I always have better luck freezing veggies when I don't blanch them, and we are talking about 40 years of doing it.

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesJanuary 17, 2012
🎂
🌻
📓