Fried Sweet Potato Shrimp Cakes
Julienne cut sweet potatoes and diced shrimp are combined in an egg and flour batter. Then scoops of the mix are pan fried. They can be served with a salad or rice or alone as an appetizer.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
April 15, 2020
With a few ingredients you can make these tasty fried sweet potato shrimp cakes! You can serve this with fresh vegetables and your choice of sauce: chili sauce, hot sauce, mixed fish sauce, etc. Or you can eat alone as an appetizer, snack or pair with rice of course too!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2-3 minutes per side depending on your preference
Total Time: 28 minutes
- 8 shrimp
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- dash salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil (ran out of vegetable oil)
- 1.5 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- Peel and wash sweet potato.
- For one sweet potato, I used a food processor and the other sweet potato, I cut julianne the sweet potato. You can skip the food processor but I didn't want all chunky pieces. Place napkin on your plate to absorb any water.
- Peel shrimp shell and devein. Chop into chunks.
- In a large bowl, add sweet potatoes, fish sauce, soy sauce, shrimp, salt, pepper and chopped shrimp. Lightly mix.
- Then incorporate your flour to create your batter. Mix well until you have this consistency as pictured.
- Over medium high heat, spoon batter to create your cakes and cook 2-3 minutes per side or your desired doneness. I cooked 2 batches of 4, for a total of 8 cakes. Line plate with paper towel to absorb some oil.