Garnishing SSD Benefits for Back Child Support

Do I need to hire a lawyer or does the D.A. file for a garnishment of my ex-husband's SSD benefits for back child support in Tennessee?

By vdl


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

May 29, 20110 found this helpful
Best Answer

Call the local Social Security office, they will be able to advise you on the best route to take. They may award more money for the SSD benefactor to cover child support but be warned they probably will not cover all of it. The extra money will be sent straight to the parent with the children and the balance will be the responsibility of the parent collecting SSD.
When I signed up for SSD I informed my SS councelor that I had child support responsibilities. They raised my SSD amount by a little over $600 a month but I was still responsible for $291 a month. Very acceptable all things considered. But if the spouse on SSD is a low life and doesn't want to pay, even if it is a lower amount, you may still need to a lawyer to get the balance. The Social Security office will be able to clarify. To my knowledge SSD can not be garnished.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 28, 20110 found this helpful

Talk to your Child Support Office and see what they say. I would think they could give you the advice you are seeking.


I also think they will tend to the paperwork for you. You could also call you social security office and see what they say.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 31, 20110 found this helpful

Good advice here already. Please do talk to both Social Security and the family court. Our system is in place to help those in your situation so that you don't have to pay additional fees trying to collect money due to your children.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

By 0 found this helpful
September 7, 2012

I need help. My ex recently got SSD and in June and July I received two payments of 377.00 a piece. Now it is September, and I have not received a dime. He has received notification that they are taking his back pay to pay arrears which is 6,000.00. How come no one seems to know what is going on? There is no trace of anything. I am so frustrated. Can anyone help?


By Lynnetta


September 9, 20120 found this helpful

Go speak to someone at your local Social Security office to find out what's going on. Be polite but be pushy about getting an answer and all the facts in writing. Please know that the back portion pay for arrears of the child support might not actually reach you for about 90 days but you indeed should have received the September payment by now.

Have all Social Security payments set up right now for direct deposit to your checking account that way there will be no 'The check was lost in the mail' excuse. Besides, as of February all payments will no longer be postal mail anyway so avoid the rush by using direct deposit now ;-)

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 9, 20120 found this helpful

Ask the people who have the answers. If there is a SS office near you go there and ask in person. If not call or email them and ask.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...
In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportMay 28, 2011
Birthday Ideas!
Back to School Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/09/12 12:35:42 in 776 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!