Getting Rid of Flies in Pet Area

I have outside cats that I feed in a large platter. When the weather starts to get warm I have trouble with flies in and around their food and bedding. I've tried fly strips, but they don't work very well. Anyone have an idea how to get rid of and keep away the flies?

By Janet S.

As long as there is an available food source the flies will not leave. You might try dry food only and see.

I have put several drops of peppermint oil in my cat house, and it seems to repel flies. It does need to be refreshed every few days. I have read that lavender works as well although I have not tried it. Hope this helps.

Very very BAD idea... peppermint is poisonous to cats!

I wouldn't recommend going to dry cat food. It can take a real toll on your cats kidneys over time. I feed one cat outside. I have found that I have to feed the cat and then bring the dish in to be washed. Otherwise not only do the flies congregate, but the racoons show up as well as any neighborhood dogs who might go by.

I dont run my dishwasher every day, so I went down to the Goodwill and bought a stack of dishes of the right size. After the kitty eats I stick the dish in the dishwasher. George appreciates the nice clean dish. No more flies, dogs or racoons. Good luck to you.

Try planting lemon grass and marigolds many flies don't like them. A pot of plants on each side will make it smell nicer deter flies and hide some of the cat dining away.