MicePest Control

Getting Rid of Mice in the Kitchen

Category Mice

I live in Florida, in my dad's house that I just inherited. We have noticed over a 2 week period that something chewed a hole in the bread and a hole in the cabinet under the sink for the purpose of eating the garbage in the trash can. I have also seen (this morning) little poops in the bottom of the garbage can.

I think we have a mouse and I am absolutely disgusted and scared. Our dog is a Pit Bull and could care less. My boyfriend is allergic to cats. Does anyone have a sure fire way to get rid of my little dirty secret? Please help, as we do not have the money for an exterminator, and getting rid of them will have to be done inexpensively. Thanks.

By vanessa

Start by putting up a simple mousetrap near the trail. A small piece of meat (ham) on the trap is very effective. Keep trapping, until you are sure that there are no more mice.

PS: if you chose to use a cage-trap (trapping them alive), don't let them out in your back yard. They will find back home. Release them at least 2 miles away, close to a park or nature.

The sticky mouse traps are good, but they are so sad when the mice are caught and are alive when you find them.... :(

Peanut butter also works good on mice traps. It does not get hard and fall off like cheese. Keep several traps set in different areas. I would put them in other rooms besides just the kitchen also. Once they get in your home, they like to go everywhere. Good luck!

The cincher comes after you catch them in the traps. Find where they are getting in and plug any holes they might squeeze through. Otherwise you will have this happen again and again.

A mouse is annoying, but nothing to be frightened of. Another remedy might be to borrow a cat for a few days; perhaps your boyfriend needs to visit his mom or travel for work.

There are many different kinds of traps, if you can't get a cat to look after the problem for you. No touching of mice is required with many of them. I would use the traps that kill the mice instantly. Then you can just dispose of them in the garbage. If you buy the small wooden traps, you can throw them away, trap and all.

Do not use poison; you will end up with dead mice in the walls, stinking. When you have trapped the mouse or mice, you should try to figure out how it was getting into the house, and block off the entrance. Mice can get through very tiny places. You would not believe how small a hole it can come through.

We use the little boxes of poisoned grain. We live in the middle of about 80 acres, and mice are a given. The brand we buy is D-Con.

I live in a rural area and good old-fashioned mousetraps are a must to get rid of the mice that are there already. That will take care of the trash. Bait them with peanut butter. Keep all of your food in metal or glass containers. Plastic gallon jars are good if they have a metal lid. I had a mouse that chewed the plastic top of a gallon of olive oil. I had to throw it out because the mouse had squeezed itself into the can opening, fell in, and died. Yuk!

If you go away, mice will come in and make themselves at home, so make sure everything is secure before you go and set traps as well. Once they come in, they will also go in your drawers and make nests. Don't make it easy for them.

D-Con is the best bait because the dead critter doesn't smell. If using traps, once you've caught the mouse/mice and you haven't had anything in your trap for a day or two, use steel wool to plug the holes where water lines, gas lines, HVAC venting come into your home. They can't chew through it.