Getting Rid of Nettles

I want something to get rid of nettles, there is a load of them. I also want to plant some flowers in the summer. Can you help?

Best Answer

Most garden sites will state that a home owner cannot buy the "killer" for stinging nettles but when I had a small farm, my son used RoundUp and it did kill the roots and all. He mowed the weeds to about 2-3 inches high and then donned appropriate gear and sprayed the area. (Made sure it was not a windy day and no rain in the forecast.) He waited for a week and then sprayed the area again. There were none left and I did not have/see any new starts for the next 5 years that I lived there. We used RoundUp Concentrate for poison ivy (followed all directions) but they now have a weed killer especially for stinging nettles.

Here is a link that has some information in case you wish to try it yourself.

www.roundup.com.au/.../weed-killer-for-stinging-nettles

Unless you call a professional, you will not be able to access the pesticides they can. You will have to dig to remove the entire plant. Wear protective gloves and sleeves.

Mum has always been a natural and organic gardener, and her method never fails. Trim the nettles so only an inch or two remain above ground, then pour Boiling Water - straight from the kettle over the lot. Leave for two days and repeat as necessary. Never fails. Totally safe, natural with no chemicals or expensive weed killer. ;)